Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earth

I have gained a knee pain after today's ride.

The pain is in my right knee, just on the inner side of my knee cap. It feels like its right on the end of my knee cap, not in the joint.

Recently I lowered my saddle by 5mm, partly because I was getting a similar pain on the inner side of the left knee cap! I suspect the change in saddle height is the cause of the new pain so perhaps I should raise the saddle again by 2.5mm and get equal pain in both knee's ;)

Could saddle height and therefore leg extension be the problem? What about fore/aft positioning of the saddle?

Tynan

Veteran
yes to everything, although saddle hieght alone shouldn't cause pain on one side or the toher unless it's badly wrong

it's a shag but until you get everything right, you get pains all over, if you;re wearing clipless, cleats are an arse until they're right, distance really brings it out

there's some good setup guides on google that will give ideas on what causes what

a_n_t

I'm getting exactly the same pain and I haven't changed a thing!! I've read you need to move your cleats out abit with inner knee pain so as to move your foot closer to the BB.

Joe

Über Member
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm is pretty good.

Knee pain is a minefield but generally it's cleat position, saddle position, or overuse/mashing big gears.
Also bear in mind that adjusting saddle height changes your effective fore-aft position. ie bringing it down also brings you forward in relation to the bottom bracket.

Good luck!

OP
OP
E

earth

I did have everything set up reasonably and only started to get aches after 70 miles or so. But then I started fettling.

I was thinking about leg extension and keeping my knee over the pedal axle. I've been told I have a leg length discrepancy as well so I got cleat shims, put them on the shorter leg and raised the saddle. Then I had a knee pain on the longer leg so I tried lowering the saddle, now I've got a knee pain on the other leg!

Also I find it difficult to position the cleat on my left foot to be under the ball of the foot. It seemed to be more comfortable when it was under the point where my big toe meets the ball. When it comes to moving the cleats so my feet are closer to the BB I realise I have done exactly the opposite - why? I found my shoes rubbed on the crank arm and started wear it away. I will reconsider this!

I really need someone to have a look at my position on the bike. I think I will book a session with Paul Hewitt who is the closest person with a jig.

Top Bottom