Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
To answer the ops question...I find modest exercise is kinda working for me but even then, its hard.
Arthritis of the hips, now spreading into my knees, after years of fitness where 50 mile hard rides were nothing, i now struggle to do 15. Ive brought an ebike to prevent excess pressure on the knees while pushing uphill (which i really struggle with now) and regular but easier exercise seems the only way. Push it and it hurts, no question in my case.

Glucosamine Sulphate and Cod Liver oil are helping as a long term supplement. I was in a bad way about a year ago, constant deep deep pain.... so i started the supplements, i get sore now after a days work and my legs constantly ache but i only occasionally suffer like i did a year ago.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just thought I’d mention in this thread as well that I’ve got some knee trouble again. Long story short had cartilage removed from right knee many moons ago and cycling was my recovery !! However if late I’m having all sorts of bother. It’s swollen above the knee cap and across, when I bend the knee it’s tight down the side of the knee. This started off a few weeks ago and I had pain in my calf as well , leg very tight. Starting to think though that it’s a bike setup issue ? Bought new shoes you see and now think I need to alter the saddle or spd position on the right shoe.

Btw it’s fine when cycling it’s when instop

vickster

Legendary Member
Check your cleat and seat position. Don't forget your post ride stretches, calves, gluteus, quads, hip flexors :okay:

Of course, meniscus removal is often followed by arthritis so could be some of that too if stiff and swollen

If it doesn't get better, see a sports physio

My last two fits have lowered my saddle and the first of those two identified a leg length discrepancy (left is longer than the right) and touch wood Ive never had a recurrence of the ITB knee problem I had 12 years ago so a fit I think did solve it for me. Im not rigorous about it but I also stretch a little in the shower after a ride and that probably helps too but I found over rigorous stretching problematic, nothing major but sometimes a thigh/ calf didn't feel right for a bit. I find a short 1-2 miles complete ease off at the end of the ride helps more, that's maybe just me though.

vickster

Legendary Member
My last two fits have lowered my saddle and the first of those two identified a leg length discrepancy (left is longer than the right) and touch wood Ive never had a recurrence of the ITB knee problem I had 12 years ago so a fit I think did solve it for me. Im not rigorous about it but I also stretch a little in the shower after a ride and that probably helps too but I found over rigorous stretching problematic, nothing major but sometimes a thigh/ calf didn't feel right for a bit. I find a short 1-2 miles complete ease off at the end of the ride helps more, that's maybe just me though.
What's over rigorous stretching?!

The degradation in the joint is already there and the arthritis will progress whatever you do. Changes within the joint cause different pains in different parts of the affected leg or legs and also in other parts of the body because the body's readjustment to cope with the malfunctioning joint affects the whole body posture.
I've had a knee replacement. It's taken longer to readjust to the straightening up of the affected leg than to get over the surgery.
If fiddling with the bike provides some kind of relief then fair enough but just bear in mind how much your whole body is being thrown out by the arthritis.

vickster

Legendary Member
The degradation in the joint is already there and the arthritis will progress whatever you do. Changes within the joint cause different pains in different parts of the affected leg or legs and also in other parts of the body because the body's readjustment to cope with the malfunctioning joint affects the whole body posture.
I've had a knee replacement. It's taken longer to readjust to the straightening up of the affected leg than to get over the surgery.
If fiddling with the bike provides some kind of relief then fair enough but just bear in mind how much your whole body is being thrown out by the arthritis.
How old were you when you had the TKR?

Top Bottom