Knee pain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One new feature of cycling has been a stiffness in my knees on longer rides. With hindsight that may be because it is the first time I've tried to ride any distance in sub-zero temperatures. It probably doesn't help that I live on the top of a hill, so if I go in most directions the first ten minutes is a descent into a cold valley.

I've commuted a few K's in minus frigid and rode longer distances last year with no problem in more sensible temperatures, but it seems that cold muscles, long rides and -3°c is a bad combination.

Yes, okay, I should have worked that out. I'm an experiential learner, okay?

What options are there to avoid this? Normally I wear thickish cotton work trousers which I suspect will get some on here into a froth, but I find them comfortable, and usually warm. My upper body needs extra layers but my legs have always cooked when I wore fleece trousers underneath.

I could just not ride on cold days but in this region that limits me a bit.

Is there a kind of knee warming band that just protects my knees and without cooking the rest of my legs? Or should I do knee-specific warm ups before leaving?

I suppose I could I could tie a hot water bottle on each knee...

Mo1959

Legendary Member

I learned a kneecap excercise in Tai Chi.
Bend ze knees
Take kneecap in hand and wiggle it around.

I usually add a back of the knee stretch and foot as well. Stand on one leg. Hold other leg straight but not hyperextend. Pointing toes up, raise whole leg gently up.

CXRAndy

Guru
Saddle height slightly wrong?

Pains around the front can usually put down to a too low saddle. I recently changed saddles, the new one being less padded. After a 2 hour ride my left knee ache across the front. I lifted my saddle a further 5mm and subsequent long rides my knee pain went. I had set saddle height from previous saddle with accurate measurement. But obviously I had slightly set my new saddle just a bit low.

Thanks for the replies...

I don't think it is more serious, mainly because I do have a slight issue on one knee: my kneecap doesn't slide straight and when the muscles aren't warmed up that can be a problem. The main treatment for this is exercise and especially cycling.

@Phaeton's comment made me remember that I'm using a different bike so I may have the saddle set a bit too low. It has slipped in the past, maybe I shout check that.

I'll try doing warmups, even though a "Kneecap exercise in Tai Chi" sounds daunting...

I think the knee support is possibly the answer for when it gets really cold, and may help the aforementioned kneecap move in a straight line as well...

I have a 50k on Friday and that will be in milder weather so we shall see how the Knee responds.

sleuthey

Legendary Member

if you're not wearing thermal bib shirts some knee warmers might help

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-pro-sl-knee-warmers-ii/

Top Bottom