Knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

earthuman

Hey all...I'm about two weeks into my tour here...haven't done any major days except for one century day (168km) about a week ago...mostly pretty chilled out 50 - 80km days. But I've started to develop some pain in my knees. Especially the left one. Nothing serious...but it's a very dull throbbing ache when I'm pedalling, and it goes when at rest. I'm 28, never had any trouble before, so just wondered if anyone out there has experienced this on tour and if anyone has some tips or advice for me. I was thinking about picking up a knee brace today to see if that would help...
I'm having a rest day today, but was hoping to do about 100km tomorrow...
any suggestions?

Garz

Squat Member
Are you clipless? If so adjust cleat(s), check your seat height and fore/aft.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Check out these 2 excellent articles on knees:
Part 1 ....

... and Part 2

Also, you haven't mentioned what sort of pain it is, where it is etc etc.

I've been having pain on the outside of my right knee, which comes on after about 1-2 hrs. Moving my cleats to get the knee further out, rotating the cleat so my heel is in a bit more - and using an extra inner sole on the right shoe :evil: have all helped to make it better. I'm doing a 100k audax tomorrow, which should give me a good indication if I have it right yet ... :evil:

HTH :evil:

wyno70

As mentioned, it depends where the pain is as to which way you need to move your cleats.

I followed the instructions given in the 'Long Distance Cyclist' book by Simon Doughty, to get things just right and once I got it sorted have never had any knee pain since!

The instructions in the book tell you which way to move things (cleats etc) depending on where you are getting pain! Sorted!

OP
OP
earthuman

earthuman

Hey all, thanks for the responses. I'm using toe clips on the bike so no cleats to adjust, but I have raised my saddle a bit and that seems to have helped a lot. The day after raising the saddle the pain didn't show until about 75km into a 100km day...and the following day I rode about 70km with no pain at all.
When I do have pain in my knee it's very central - in the middle of the knee and very deep...like a dull throb. It feels like it is under the knee cap in the hinge of the joint.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
earthuman said:
Hey all, thanks for the responses. I'm using toe clips on the bike so no cleats to adjust, but I have raised my saddle a bit and that seems to have helped a lot. The day after raising the saddle the pain didn't show until about 75km into a 100km day...and the following day I rode about 70km with no pain at all.
When I do have pain in my knee it's very central - in the middle of the knee and very deep...like a dull throb. It feels like it is under the knee cap in the hinge of the joint.
Does sound like a saddle too low to me, so well done for working it out :biggrin:

Hope you get it well sorted and enjoy the rest of your tour .... and the next one .... :biggrin:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The normal cyclists' knee problem is Chondromalacia Patellae (aka "Easter Knee"), due to mileage increasing faster than fitness.
Basically, there's a ridge on the back of the kneecap, and a matching groove in the ends of the leg bones. As the mileage goes up, the main power muscles on the outside of the thigh get stronger faster than the stabilising muscles on the inside of the thigh, with the result that instead of tracking neatly up and down the groove, the kneecap drags against the side of the groove and causes cartilage wear and discomfort.

Remedial exercises are to hold the leg out straight in front of you, seated, foot off the ground. You can also hang a smallish weight off your ankle, or clench the thigh muscles as though you were trying to bend your knee backwards. The knee should remain straight throughout.

Immediately, pick a flatter route as far as possible, and ease off the pace even if it takes longer to get there.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
When I had similar pain in France I threw out some stuff from the load I was carrying and it went away...you know important stuff like the dinner jacket and hair dryer etc;);)

samid

Guru
One thing that's supposed to make things easier for your knees is to use relatively lower gears/higher cadence. IOW - spin, don't mash the pedals.

OP
OP
earthuman

earthuman

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice - I've now had two good days (each at about 130km) with no pain at all. Got rid of some weight, took the seat higher, and taking it easier on the gears...some slight adjustments made a HUGE difference...(kept the hairdryer though;))

rich p

ridiculous old lush
earthuman said:
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice - I've now had two good days (each at about 130km) with no pain at all. Got rid of some weight, took the seat higher, and taking it easier on the gears...some slight adjustments made a HUGE difference...(kept the hairdryer though;))

Earth, if I might call you that, your link isn't working for me!

OP
OP
earthuman

earthuman

rich p said:
Earth, if I might call you that, your link isn't working for me!

hmmm...not sure what the issue is....i'm not much of a computer wizz...
still not working?

Top Bottom