KNEE PROBLEMS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayce

Went out today done 30 miles whilst climbing a steep hill my knee started hurting it felt like it needed to click never had a problem before ,and i use la speedplays any info will be great :smile:

col

Legendary Member
jayce said:
Went out today done 30 miles whilst climbing a steep hill my knee started hurting it felt like it needed to click never had a problem before ,and i use la speedplays any info will be great ;)

Im not sure but if your climbing under tension and your foot is fixed and cant move a little, this could cause your knee to hurt. Its refered to as float in the clipless world I believe, and is free movement in the foot pedal contact area to hopefully stop this happening, unless your saddle is too low of course?

peanut

or too high Col ...

years ago i rode a newly built bike for a test with the saddle fractionally too high and my knee has hurt ever since. Hasn't caused me any problems yet .

Jayce if you havn't changed your setup and you've had no previous problems the chances are you either hadn't warmed up sufficiently or just overdid it .Maybe you should have changed gear sooner ?

It will probably resolve itself in 4-5 days given a bit of rest. Bag of frozen peas in a T towel for no more than 5 minutes every hour will reduce any inflamation.

It might be worth checking your shoe cleat setup to make sure it is spot on. If the middle of your sole is slightly behind the centre of the axle it can cause tension as your toes curl to compensate

montage

God Almighty
Hmmm I am also getting knee pains - mainly in the right knee.
Where abouts are yours jayce? On my right knee it is below the kneecap, to the left. This suggest my saddle is too high I believe. I also get pains in the tendon area around the back of the knee - I think this means my saddle is too low, so I am stumped!

peanut

montage said:
Hmmm I am also getting knee pains - mainly in the right knee.
Where abouts are yours jayce? On my right knee it is below the kneecap, to the left. This suggest my saddle is too high I believe. I also get pains in the tendon area around the back of the knee - I think this means my saddle is too low, so I am stumped!

could be your shoe cleat position needs adjusting ?

When I last did mine I was surprised to find that I need a pigeon-toe set up for the bike but I certainly don't walk like that. When I returned the cleats to the original position the pain returned to my knee so I ride pigeon toed now ;)

Best way I find is to slightly loosen the cleats so it takes some force to move the shoe when the cleat is locked in to the pedal.
Stick the bike on a turbo if poss and just keep shifting the shoes in & out forward & back and twisting until it just feels 'right' then get a glamerous assistant ( if not the wife will do ) to mark the cleat position on the base of the shoe.

Alternatively undo the shoes and leave them fixed and then mark the cleat position with a feltip or spraypaint

OP
OP
J

jayce

Mine is the middle of the knee cap and to the left ,if i tense my leg there is a lump that appears but its not hurting ,oh its on my left leg

OP
OP
J

jayce

Also i have light action speedplay pedals with full float so i would have said thats not the problem as my feet can move 15 deg each way

montage

God Almighty
peanut said:
could be your shoe cleat position needs adjusting ?

When I last did mine I was surprised to find that I need a pigeon-toe set up for the bike but I certainly don't walk like that. When I returned the cleats to the original position the pain returned to my knee so I ride pigeon toed now ;)

Best way I find is to slightly loosen the cleats so it takes some force to move the shoe when the cleat is locked in to the pedal.
Stick the bike on a turbo if poss and just keep shifting the shoes in & out forward & back and twisting until it just feels 'right' then get a glamerous assistant ( if not the wife will do ) to mark the cleat position on the base of the shoe.

Alternatively undo the shoes and leave them fixed and then mark the cleat position with a feltip or spraypaint

Awesome idea! But pigeon toed? No idea what this means

peanut

you never heard of 'pigeon toed '? :biggrin:it means your toes point inwards when you walk. Lots of people have pigeon toes or 'kipper feet' (pointing outward):blush:

heres what I mean. This is an old pair of shoes showing the alignment of my foot to the cleat alignment
The green base line is a straight cleat and shoe alignment but I have my cleats on a different alignment (red line)
cleatalignment.jpg

Top Bottom