Knight's of Wolverhampton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
24 miles on the Knight this morning and all went well .

IMG_20180520_060552195.jpg

The seat cluster still amazes me.

midlife

Guru
Yep, very unusual :smile:. I've seen a couple of Vic Edwards that look similar. :smile:

whitesix

Regular
Hello I have a Knights Cycle, see images attached. I believe the bike was made around 1982, some 38 years ago. I purchased the bike from the father in law of a good friend some 33 years ago and the tyres are the same as when I purchased it. I think they therefore need renewing. Can anyone help me with this please. I understand the tyres are know as Tubs and from the image they have a yellow patch stating Liontyres GT 30 (or50 or 80); there is also a badge on the wheel rim stating Super Competition Champion Made in France. I'm really not sure where to start and the wheel rim measure around 24" dia (ie side to side); what size therefore are the wheels?

I have consulted a very well respected bicycle mechanic, but he does not go back this far and has no experience with this sort of tyre. Can anyone also recommend a good video or any instructions to enable me to fit such a tyre, when I can establish which tyre I need to purchase and where such tyres can indeed be purchased from.

I am also considering if it would be viable to have the wheels re-built, because some of the spokes are a little rusty?

Any help and assistance would be very much appreciated.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'm really not sure where to start and the wheel rim measure around 24" dia (ie side to side); what size therefore are the wheels?
The tyre size should be on it's side, look for numbers like 28 - 622. The first number is the width of the tyre and the second is the diameter. The replacement tyre must have exactly the same diameter but the width can be slightly different. If you are fitting a wider tyre then just make sure there is enough room in the forks for it.

PS The OP has 27" tyres on his bike. If yours are the same then they will be 635mm.

Last edited:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
The original chainring on biggs682's Knight was a TA Cyclotouriste. I see it was replaced in the refurbishment but cannot believe you threw it away. Should you want to resuscitate it some spares and inner rings are available on eBay and here:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s148p951/SPECIALITES-T-A-Cyclotourist-Inner-Chainrings-26-30
Well done on a fine refurb of a very special bike.

Last edited:

whitesix

Regular
Thank you for your comments; but I have done no refurbs whatsoever; this is how I purchased the bike some 33 years ago. As stated, it was originally owned by a very keen amateur race cyclist; so any of the alterations or refurbishments were either carried out by him; probably to make the bike lighter / faster or perhaps by the manufacturer when it was originally made / commission in around 1980/82. Incidentally, the person I purchased the bike from was also "Once a Wheeler" and rode for Poole Wheelers Cycle Club, obviously located in Poole, Dorset.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The original chainring on biggs682's Knight was a TA Cyclotourist. I see it was replaced in the refurbishment but cannot believe you threw it away. Should you want to resuscitate it some spares and inner rings are available on eBay and here:
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s148p951/SPECIALITES-T-A-Cyclotourist-Inner-Chainrings-26-30
Well done on a fine refurb of a very special bike.

The only reason I replaced the original crank was to go to a double set up . I still have the single TA crankset .

@whitesix if they are tubs I would expect them to be 700 x 19 or 21c and continental and Vittorio still offer them amongst others .
Nice bike 👍

Top Bottom