KNIPEX mini-pliers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have hardly ever needed a spanner out on the road in over 30 years of cycling so I wouldn't be too bothered about that. l carry a good multitool.

What I could have done with a few times was another tool to help me remove embedded objects from punctured tyres so I have now added a small pair of needle-nose pliers to my ride bag.

I have a spanner in my Brompton tool to take off the wheel nuts.
When I rode fixed I'd have two spanners to take the rear wheel off.

Everything else is allen key ? You'd need a fair old saddle pack to take those pliers ?

battered

Guru
Nice, but I'd keep it at home. Multiple for me, and if I need a particular spanner (when?) I'll carry the right size.

My wife got me something very similar to this, though with a sharper nose. Very small when fully folded, so it lives in the saddle bag with the other multitool. Cheaper and I imagine more useful.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Multifunctional-Stainless-Foldable-Activities/dp/B08PCN7PWB/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=folding+pliers+multi+tool&qid=1620482453&sr=8-6

Yeah I've got something almost identical. I've often lent it to people 🤦‍♀️

But it's good to investigate new options sometimes :smile:

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
What nuts or bolts do you need a spanner for on yo' bike(s) Matt?
I carry a very slim one the correct size (?10mm) for the mudguard stay adjusting nuts. But nothing else is hexagon nutted. I considered carrying pliers capable of cable cutting but finding small light ones that'll be woman for the job has meant I don't (criteria <90mm and <75g).

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've used something very similar to those pliers and found them very imprecise and clumsy. They were cheaply made though and larger so probably not a good example.

I like the idea of looking around at other ideas. I found a tiny ratchet head driver in my local DIY store and decided it would be far better than a multi tool for my bike. I went over every nut and bolt, checking I had the right bits and I could access and undo all of them. I only have hex and Torx heads, even on the limit screws, so this covers everything.

The only downside is the lack of a chain splitter, I'm looking for a good small one to replace the park tool one I carry at the moment.

IMG_20210508_182812273.jpg

What nuts or bolts do you need a spanner for on yo' bike(s) Matt?
I carry a very slim one the correct size (?10mm) for the mudguard stay adjusting nuts. But nothing else is hexagon nutted. I considered carrying pliers capable of cable cutting but finding small light ones that'll be woman for the job has meant I don't (criteria <90mm and <75g).
Yup, guard nuts for sure. I also have brake cable clamps on the canti bikes (of at least 2 sizes!). Rack clamp bits too IIRC. Possibly some brake blocks.

Pliers are also useful onceinabluemoon, so there might be advantage to carrying good quality ones!

That is the EXACT tool that sparked the audax-facebook thread, where the knipex pliers were mentioned! Your initials don't match, but this is quite a coincidence ...

As I said on FB this seems a good idea; chain-tools are vv rarely needed, and handlebars are wasted space :P
EDIT: I note a poster here has now found the FB thread. I hope his posts here will be more constructive ...

;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
That is the EXACT tool that sparked the audax-facebook thread, where the knipex pliers were mentioned! Your initials don't match, but this is quite a coincidence ...

As I said on FB this seems a good idea; chain-tools are vv rarely needed, and handlebars are wasted space :P
I'm not on fb, so not me. The tool is a bit pricy, but good quality and stores out of the way.

Top Bottom