Knobbly non-winter tyres better than semi-slick?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
My bike has semi-slick tyres on for commuting. My OHs bike (ridden twice last year) has knobbly tyres but they are not winter ones.

Would there be any benefit in swapping the wheels over in icy conditions? I can see that the knobblies might be better in snow, but I'm not sure about ice.

potsy

Rambler
None whatsoever in icy conditions, only thing that will help is studded tyres.

jim55

Guru
The only tyre that will work on ice is metal / carbide spiked,nothing to do with rubber ,which without spikes has NO grip on ice at all,the tread pattern is irrelevant ( slick/semi or full on mtb nobblies)
Soft snow yes nobblies are better than slick obv ,but ice is different

jack smith

Veteran
Put the knobbly ones on they dont just smooth the snow they dig down to the tarmac ive been riding knobbly thres the last few days even on sheet ice/compacted snow and thye dont skid out unless you slam on the breaks or corner like a maniac, the road bike however wont even move it just spins and those are 25mm semi slicks

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I'm running 26 x 1.5" tyres at the moment and they've been fine to be honest, but the weather has taken a turn here. In fact it's snowing so the ice question may be academic in the morning :smile:

As has been mentioned on ice nothing but studs/spikes, snow even ride slicks in the snow.

_MG_9014-Edit.jpg

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Depends on the ice, flat smooth ripple free ice then yes I agree with the above statements. But rough rutted frozen snow, then yes ime knobblies work much better than slicks.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks everyone. We have about an inch of snow here so that should be decision made - I've just been to look at the OH's bike and it has a flat!

As ever, preparation is key :smile:

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Also, if you've fitted mudguards since you last had knobbly tyres on your bike, be prepared for the fact that the tyres might not fit so well anymore ...

(5 minute job became half-an-hour)

potsy

Rambler
Depends on the ice, flat smooth ripple free ice then yes I agree with the above statements. But rough rutted frozen snow, then yes ime knobblies work much better than slicks.
Yep would agree with that too, ice tyres on the flat smooth icy paths, but when there are ruts then the ice tyres struggle a fair bit, they are not that good in snow either.

Think the Schwalbe 'Snow Studs' are decent on both though, @fossyant will confirm I'm sure.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yep would agree with that too, ice tyres on the flat smooth icy paths, but when there are ruts then the ice tyres struggle a fair bit, they are not that good in snow either.

Think the Schwalbe 'Snow Studs' are decent on both though, @fossyant will confirm I'm sure.

Snow studs work well in all conditions even in mud. It's basically an off road tyre with studs on the outer tread. For extreme grip ice spikers are available but are a mare on tarmac.

Snow studs aren't a quick tyre but are great off road.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Well I rode in this morning on 23mm slicks.... no problems on the light snow/wet slush on the gritted main roads I use.

If the snow gets deeper I'll use the MTB with knobblies, and if it freezes and turns to ice I'll work from home :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well I rode in this morning on 23mm slicks.... no problems on the light snow/wet slush on the gritted main roads I use.

If the snow gets deeper I'll use the MTB with knobblies, and if it freezes and turns to ice I'll work from home :smile:
Its ok if you ride on main routes, be careful if like me your on country lanes that are unlit and ungritted , i have had a few tumbles in the past .Last night it gave out snow and i though
"single track road with no traffic will be unrideable " , " I have had to walk a few miles before "
I didnt fancy that after a night shift so took the car and it had melted before i came out , fecking typical.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Its ok if you ride on main routes, be careful if like me your on country lanes that are unlit and ungritted , i have had a few tumbles in the past .Last night it gave out snow and i though
"single track road with no traffic will be unrideable " , " I have had to walk a few miles before "
I didnt fancy that after a night shift so took the car and it had melted before i came out , fecking typical.
Ahh, but if you had ridden it would now be axle deep snow and frozen solid.

Top Bottom