1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

knock knock…

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by alecstilleyedye, 9 Apr 2008.

1. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

there's an ominous knocking sound from the front end of my road bike if i hold the front brake and rock the thing back and forward. i've made sure the bolts for the headset are tight, and also that the brake caliper is secured to the fork adequately.

any ideas what might be causing it?

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Is there a shrew inside your fork, with a very tiny hammer, trying to attract your attention?

3. col

col Veteran

Is there also a lock ring that tightens down onto the fork tops on top of the frame underneath the headset?,this might need a tighten too?

4. Canrider

Canrider Guru

Loose front axle bolt/QR? I once rode into work, picked the front wheel up to lift the bike over the pavement and the front wheel fell out! :biggrin:

5. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

brakes rocking on its pivot?

6. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

Loose headset.
    Do you have an aheadset: most bikes do nowadays. Is there an allen bolt looking up at you as you glance down at the handlebars?
    If there is, that needs to be tightened, but first you need to loosen the stem clamping bolts. Once you have done this, tighten down the allen bolt a quarter turn at a time until you do not feel knocking or rocking when you apply the front brake and try to push the bike forward. Once you are satisfied, tighten up the stem bolts and bingo: sorted.

7. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

Or, the pivot bolts on your brakes might be loose (not the bolt holding the calliper to the frame).

As ever with phantom noises, check one thing at a time.

8. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

jobs a good 'un. cheers betty (and everyone else) :biggrin::smile:

9. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

- and here we were, expecting -

"Knock knock"
    "Who's there?"
    "Nicholas"
    "Nicholas who?"
    "Nicholas girls shouldn't climb trees"

- or one of several dozen others.