Knocked off...... again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
Sounds like the sort of person who should have their freedom denied. I hope the police catch up with him, he has admitted to driving without insurance and was driving without due care, with the witness statements he is probably looking at a ban IMO.

I can see from what you have written that he is probably not the sort of person who is going to take responsibility for his own actions and had tried to feebly pass the buck on to you. I reckon he is emotionally immature and is more than likely a passive-aggressive as a result.

Also there's a chance he was on some sort of drug.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I suppose:
- leaving the scene of an accident
- failing to report said accident within 24 hours where injury has occured (garanteed in this case when you hit a cyclist)
- public order offences from threats
- driving without insurance (if part of what he said is correct) the Police may like to check he's got a licence.
- dangerous or without due care.

I'd really press the Police for this, then take him for every penny he has just for the attitude. Get someone like Russel Jones and Walker (if you're a CTC or Brit Cycling member they can do this for you once he's traced, or even put pressure on the Police iirc in certain cases if it doesnt go well)

Crankarm

Guru
Irrespective of what happens next or not with the police, are you ok?
From the damage you describe to the car and your speed I would have thought you would need treatment for injuries you may have suffered? Did the paramedic not take a look at you? I thought you said the paramedic called the police? I would have thought he would have stuck around if he felt you needed treatment or even called an ambulance. The fact that he left as he felt you and the driver were going to fight it out says a lot. He didn't want to get involved in a street brawl.

Why did you not take a pic of the driver and his car and the reg?

First thing I used to do was get my camera out on movie mode the instant a driver looked like or was being agressive, or stupidly denying something when they were clearly at fault or trying to drive away, even if the latter, I had them and their car recorded.

Sorry but next time don't get into slanging matches with drivers which quickly escalate. If you can film them and get their details and any witness details. Take pics of any damage and injuries.

Hope you are feeling better.

There's a road like the one you describe in Peterborough. Lots of young Asian drivers with lots of bad attitude, mobiles glued to their ears and no seat belts being worn. I avoid it if ever I am up that way as had some very near hits when I unknowingly cycled along it once. Every now and again the police have a blitz on it catching lots of drivers who are uninsured driving untaxed cars, from bangers to chaved up BMWs.

Anyway hope you are ok ....... and your bike.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Glad you're ok. Luckily, you have a very credible witness in the paramedic: it's their job to be calm in emergencies, so their word will carry a lot of weight.

Do chase the police very proactively: it's the only way to make sure action is taken.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Crankarm said:
Irrespective of what happens next or not with the police, are you ok?
From the damage you describe to the car and your speed I would have thought you would need treatment for injuries you may have suffered? Did the paramedic not take a look at you? I thought you said the paramedic called the police? I would have thought he would have stuck around if he felt you needed treatment or even called an ambulance. The fact that he left as he felt you and the driver were going to fight it out says a lot. He didn't want to get involved in a street brawl.

Why did you not take a pic of the driver and his car and the reg?

First thing I used to do was get my camera out on movie mode the instant a driver looked like or was being agressive, or stupidly denying something when they were clearly at fault or trying to drive away, even if the latter, I had them and their car recorded.

Sorry but next time don't get into slanging matches with drivers which quickly escalate. If you can film them and get their details and any witness details. Take pics of any damage and injuries.

Hope you are feeling better.

There's a road like the one you describe in Peterborough. Lots of young Asian drivers with lots of bad attitude, mobiles glued to their ears and no seat belts being worn. I avoid it if ever I am up that way as had some very near hits when I unknowingly cycled along it once. Every now and again the police have a blitz on it catching lots of drivers who are uninsured driving untaxed cars, from bangers to chaved up BMWs.

Anyway hope you are ok ....... and your bike.

I didn't need hospital attention, paramedic was dealing with another cyclist accident already so he continued to do so. He probly would have looked me over if I asked. I did get a look over by my girlfriends flatmate, he is a doctor. He advised me if I feel faint or sick go to A&E. I didnt want to wait for ages then waste their time over being grazed and bruised.

I took photo of reg and car in one, but he started to come toward me aggressively so I put my phone in my pocket rather than try to snap one of him in case he tried to take the phone or attack me. I'm buying a helmet cam ASAP now.

I have garmin data showing speed etc to counter his claims of me speeding, photo of his car inc damage and reg number, picture of my injuries (skinless knees and elbow, some swelling I'm also a bit stiff, can't take photo of that though, lol), witness name and number.

I understand I could have been calmer but I guess inexperience took over. Plus I do have a tendency to answer aggression with aggression, maybe a defense mechanism such as to not be bullied by over aggressive meatheads, its a shame, and I know I should keep my cool, but sometimes I don't. I didn't threaten or act physically aggressive, just raised my voice (and swore a fair bit), not letting him just walk off and asserted that I was not to blame.

Thanks for concern all. Im a tough cookie, and the bike is fine. I was more upset that I couldn't run my 5km race this morning, and that my fave casual shorts were wrecked than my injury, my girlfriend thinks I'm mad, hehe. 1st thing I did was check bike, then someone said were your shorts already like that, I look down, shredded, replied no, then lifted them up to see the grazes. I'm very annoyed about its impact on my training and more so that he shouldn't have even been on the road being un-insured, the fact the crash was his fault is secondary, he shouldn't have been driving at all.

Oh by the way paramedics didn't call police, he suggested it. I should have accepted, but I was pretty pumped with adrenaline and not thinking so clear, and was more interested in seeing what the deal with the guy was and why he wanted to leave and not provide details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get everything to the police - assume it's reported.

shippers

From a claiming for damage point of view, I beleve it's easier if he's not insured. If your solcitor claims from their insurer the insurer will drag their feet, etc, but if you're claiming from the BBI it's more straight foward. Need to get the collision report details from the police though.
For solicitors- bikeline are good.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yup, will be giving all the evidence to the police as soon as they get back to me, supposedly tomorrow.

I have taken up to date photos of the bruising and grazes today.

There is no damage to claim for, bike is fine, only property damaged was my shorts. I just want him prosecuted for the laws he has broken, I.e. no insurance etc.

Thanks for the advice all, I'm off to Evans cycles to try get a muvi camera tomorrow, ill get them to price match the best price I can find.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well the police phoned this morning, sending me a "self report kit" in the post. Oh the urgency! You would think they would like to get things this easy dealt with quickly.

I will be filling in the forms as soon as they arrive and attaching the evidence. I have printouts of photo's of his car /w reg and damage (and his hand, lol - it was him coming toward me chest out aggressively, the hand possition supports this, but its not exactly conclusive). Printout of the Garmin data, with a summary recorded within 45 mins of the accident in the header (Garmin Connect), highlighted relevant sections of the graphs, i.e. what cadence means, highlighted the super sharp cadence transition from 60 odd to zero, explination of what this means for a fixed wheel bike. Then the speed immediatelly before this transition. Data straight from garmin connect print option, then 2 screen shots with mouseovers on the graph displaying the info box with time and speed and time and cadence, hence showing accuratelly the speed of the collision. Map (explination this was generated by gps device) drawn his direction and highlighted my direction, added pictorally (a blob and arrow) showing how the collision occured. Also have photo's of my bruising and grazes.

As well as printouts, I will be including a supporting CD-rom with the images (such that the timestamps can be viewed, and also such that the images can be blown up and looked at in higher quality if needed) and the garmin data, and Garmin Training Centre and Google Earth software setup files.

Figured ill make it as easy for them as possible, such that if they fail to respond adequitly, then I have a case to complain.

One possitive comment though, when asked to confirm the reg number of the car, I commented on the car type and colour, they replied its listed as "insert colour" here. So they must have dragged up the reg details and had a look at the type of car it was registered to.

Any advice on if I should send the police pics of my injuries (even though minor) or just hold on to them in case of a claim?

I am not planning to claim for anything since I have nothing legitimate to claim for and im not going to fabricate something for the sake of milking it. However it may serve as a defense/counter claim for wasting my time etc if he gets cagey and tries to blame me (wrongly) for the wing damage to his car when the police catch up with him.

I was nearly witness to an accident near the RNCM in manchester this morning, cyclist nearly got hit by a car turning. Really need a helmet cam!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Claim for your shorts!! I think it's very important to claim for actual damage, as this is the only real way you have much chance of satisfaction against the driver. The police are not likely to do very much, IMO.

dodgy

Rob3rt, nice job on the forensic IT evidence pre-packaging - you could have a place on my team anytime :biggrin:

Top Bottom