Knocked off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
How you getting on Paul - Only just read this as I have lost the bug a bit

Hi, my shoulders getting some movement back now, but still painfull, just keeping it supported in a sling. I'm so bored though daytime tv is so crap!

I set my bike up on the turbo, I tried it yesterday but it's too soon, gonna give it til after the weekend.

When I'm back on the road again well have to sort out a ride, you not been riding much lately?

Downward

Guru
Hi, my shoulders getting some movement back now, but still painfull, just keeping it supported in a sling. I'm so bored though daytime tv is so crap!

I set my bike up on the turbo, I tried it yesterday but it's too soon, gonna give it til after the weekend.

When I'm back on the road again well have to sort out a ride, you not been riding much lately?

Where was the accident ? I am just commuting tbh - Probably safer to do some turbo work !!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What have the docs said about making sure you can keep it moving ?

After my decompression op they said get rid of the sling asap - which basically meant as soon as the nerve block wore off.

Nerve blocks are weird - your arm is completely dead - no feeling and no muscle control, so it just hangs there. There is also no muscle control in the shoulder -feels like your arm is about to fall off.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I was just told to keep in a sling, I take it off when I'm in bed. I have got some movement back in it now, so I've just Been trying my arm in different positions to see where it's hurting most. I think in another week it will be alot better.

But that will be conserning the movement side of things. I can't put any kind of pressure on my hand it's just to painfull for my shoulder. I sat on my bike on the turbo and tried both hands on the handle bars, just supporting my weight on my right hand hurt my shoulder. I just hate sitting around, but I guess sometimes you have to.

thefollen

Veteran
The accident happened up the queensway, wollescote.

I was just told to keep in a sling, I take it off when I'm in bed. I have got some movement back in it now, so I've just Been trying my arm in different positions to see where it's hurting most. I think in another week it will be alot better.

But that will be conserning the movement side of things. I can't put any kind of pressure on my hand it's just to painfull for my shoulder. I sat on my bike on the turbo and tried both hands on the handle bars, just supporting my weight on my right hand hurt my shoulder. I just hate sitting around, but I guess sometimes you have to.

Hiya, don't know whether you saw my post but the recumbent bikes down the gym are good if you fancy some exercise without affecting your shoulder. You can wear the sling during this if you wish (although it'll get a bit sweaty and need washing afterwards) and due to being unable to grab the side bars padded shorts could be a good idea. Better than nothing though.

After a few sessions on this (did one every or every other day), I found myself about 2 gears up regular bike riding, and hills have nothing on me now ;-)

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Well it's been three weeks since the accident now. I'd say I've got 90 % of movement back now. I'm back at work just taking things easy there. Got a decent sized lump from the protruding clavicle, can't lean on my right hand putting pressure on it, or lift anything with a bit of weight to it in my right hand without pain, but it is getting better with time, I'm confident in another 3 weeks it should be close to back to normal. The docs told me another 2 months and it should be fine. Been off the bike over 3 weeks and I'm starting to get a bit twitchy! I'm contemplating starting back comutting next Monday.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
9 weeks on, the large lump has stayed for good, my sleeps been ruined now as I sleep on my side normally and have a habit of rolling over in my sleep. This causes pain and then wakes me up. That happens a few times a night.

I can't carry shopping bags in my right hand anymore or anything else with a bit of weight as it causes pain. Get pain when I raise my arm above shoulder height. Still have pain and discomfort putting t shirt or jumpers on.

So much for my thoughts of a full recovery. I'm now considering corrective surgery to my clavicle, but not sure if it will be worth it after that. Guess it's something that will take along time to slowly get better, or maybe it's something I'll just have to live with now.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Ouch - I hope you feel better soon, maybe 9 weeks is simply not long enough for the injuries you have. I take it that you have instructed a solicitor by now, and that the insurers will be coughing up for physiotherapy and suchlike ?

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
My solicitors are dealing with the case, it's been withdrawn from the fast claim process, due the the car drivers insurers not admitting liability at the moment, which is ridiculous. They've got till Xmas to change there minds or it's off to court!

Wish you the best of luck with both your injury and the case. Can't see how the hell they are arguing liability with him turning across your lane!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get yourself referred to a shoulder consultant and a MRI scan of the whole shoulder.

I haven't been able to sleep on my left shoulder for 3 years, even after a shoulder op - I know what you are going through. Invest in a few pillows and wedge one in your back so you can't turn over, and one on your front to support the damaged shoulder - i.e. raise it up off the bed surface.

You will most likely need an a/c or rotator cuff op or a decompression depending upon what they find.

Rotator cuff they fix up any torn ligaments etc. etc.

A/C joint, they take off 5mm or so of bone off the end of the clavicle so it frees up the A/C

Decompression - shave bone off the various parts of the shoulder so it frees up muscle and ligament movement.

PS none are 100%. Mine was 80%. Mechanically it's now good, but I'm still in loads of pain, 9 months after the op. (that's not counting nerve damage).

Certainly back to GP and get to a shoulder consultant.

Let the solicitor at least get the liability sorted. Think about seeing a physio, as they will give you a very good idea of what's going on in there, and if liability agreed, get some treatment paid for as an interim. It's taken me 2 years to get my £2k of physio fully paid out. Now going back to physio out of my own pocket, until final claim gets sorted.

It's going to be a long battle I'm afraid, so speak to the solicitor and plan any treatment, courses of action with them.

PS feel free to PM if you need to.

Top Bottom