Knocked off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
If its what you want, chase that one up. In the circumstances you gave, as others pointed out, they have plenty of evidence to do so. And as for 'not having enough manpower', this is a one man job. I'm a response officer, fitting in what enquires I have in between all the emergency calls (and I get a fair few of those as I'm one of he few on our shift carrying Taser) and even I would have time to do this. Yes, it takes time, but its not in any way unacheivable.

1. Statement you
2. Account from the driver, probably a voluntary interview under caution
3. Statement any witnesses
4. Complete a short file to suggest a prosecution.

There are other stuff that could be needed at a later date if the drivers decides to go not guilty (e.g. medical reports, photos of damage to your bike) but that could wait, as its not necessary if he pleads guilty.

If an officer has been 'lazy' and written this off as 'not in the public interest to prosecute', then hes done so by saying ou weren't badly injured. Call up, tell them your full injuries, ask for them to be put on the log and get a log number.

Even if you don't wish to prosecute the driver, I'd be asking for the police to record some acion - e.g. a letter of caution - in case he driver decides to deny liability in a later civil case.

My personal choice on this one would be to suggest to you that I could offer the driver a chance to take a driver improvement course. This would involve him admitting he offence and I think hey are quite beneficial. He has to pay for he course too. I would only offer him his with your permission though.

Following on from what my esteemed colleague has said. This is a one man job, I've put a dangerous driving file together in 4 hours. Spread out over 3 days, it takes very little effort. So that is no excuse.

Unfortunately for cyclist if a motorist makes a mistake the consequences can be catastrophic compared to that of a car on car collision. I would certainly at the very least pushing the OIC to offer the driver an improvement course. If he refuses to admit liability then at the very least he needs to be summonsed for Due Care.

Hope you're back on two wheels again soon.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Even if you are not involved in a collision with a motorist, you can claim compensation. I recently came off my bike because I went around a corner too fast. I was in hospital for 4 days and had to have an operation on my knee.

My dad (because I am 17) said that he could claim on the days that I was in hospital for, as he works in the RBS. He told me today that I need to fill in an incident report and attach the online video of it, so that the bank have evidence. I will only probably get £100 but something is better than nothing, and it can go towards fixing the damage to my bike.

You need to push this as far as possible, the police often need a little bit of a kick to get them to do anything, but it will pay off.

biking_fox

Guru
I got just under 4 grand for a broken collar bone after I was car doored. I recommend Alison France Solicitors they have a special cycle related department called bikeline, they are very good.

Mine was very similar to this - and I also recommened Alison France. (no win no fee)

Get in touch with the Police again, definately. Mention your injuries. I had to do this in person at the station within 24hrs of the accident! But you had coppers on the scence, so maybe have more leaway.

Leave all the rest to the solicitors. No way you want to deal with their insurerance/driver. No way at all. Fill in online form with solicitor. They'll phone/email you, give more details..... wait. When you're "better" you get final docs exam to evaluate extent of damage. Only then do you get money., but may arrange interim payment for bike repairs and expenses.

Things to do:
Write down NOW where you where, conditions, etc.
Photos if you can get them, of you, bike, road junction extra
Keep a log of your injuries how you felt what you can and could not do - sleep disturbance, hobbies, everything and anything that is different from your normal life.
Keep all your receipts - any taxi or bus journey you made that you'd normally have cycled, shopping delivery charges etc etc.

You'll need ot detail all this for the solicitors months down the line, and exact memories are really difficult by then.

Hope you get well soon, simply and quickly!

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Mine was very similar to this - and I also recommened Alison France. (no win no fee)

Get in touch with the Police again, definately. Mention your injuries. I had to do this in person at the station within 24hrs of the accident! But you had coppers on the scence, so maybe have more leaway.

Leave all the rest to the solicitors. No way you want to deal with their insurerance/driver. No way at all. Fill in online form with solicitor. They'll phone/email you, give more details..... wait. When you're "better" you get final docs exam to evaluate extent of damage. Only then do you get money., but may arrange interim payment for bike repairs and expenses.

Things to do:
Write down NOW where you where, conditions, etc.
Photos if you can get them, of you, bike, road junction extra
Keep a log of your injuries how you felt what you can and could not do - sleep disturbance, hobbies, everything and anything that is different from your normal life.
Keep all your receipts - any taxi or bus journey you made that you'd normally have cycled, shopping delivery charges etc etc.

You'll need ot detail all this for the solicitors months down the line, and exact memories are really difficult by then.

Hope you get well soon, simply and quickly!

That was very good advice mate.

Yes you need to detail everything down before you forget about it.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
The police at the scene took my details and the drivers, they breathalysed him, the police then came to the hospital, took a statement from me. Said he'd admitted it was his fault and that he was sorry, passed my number to him. The one policeman said he'd been cycling to work the last 6 months and was waiting for his first accident lol. They said they would call me today to see how I was. Haven't heard anything yet.

They gave me a log number for the incident, I have it wrote down.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The police at the scene took my details and the drivers, they breathalysed him, the police then came to the hospital, took a statement from me. Said he'd admitted it was his fault and that he was sorry, passed my number to him. The one policeman said he'd been cycling to work the last 6 months and was waiting for his first accident lol. They said they would call me today to see how I was. Haven't heard anything yet.

Dont expect them to call. I hate people who are like that...

400bhp

Guru
My dad (because I am 17) said that he could claim on the days that I was in hospital for, as he works in the RBS. He told me today that I need to fill in an incident report and attach the online video of it, so that the bank have evidence. I will only probably get £100 but something is better than nothing, and it can go towards fixing the damage to my bike.

What is your dad claiming for exactly?

Arch

Married to Night Train

Having a 17 year old son who can't judge a corner?

I have to say, I'm not sure what the 'case' is here....

To the OP, I can;t add any practical advice, just Get Well Soon, and I hope it turns out to be less trouble than it bodes.

Msmancunia

It's possible that Matthew's Dad has private healthcare through work that covers his children (or might have it through his bank account; Barclays used to offer it with some accounts too). If you have a stay in hospital as an A&E case, you can usually claim (I think) £25 per each overnight stay.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The money he wasted travelling to the hospital

Blimey. That's a bit mercenary. I better bill my other half for the weekend I had to get a train over to see him in hospital instead of him driving here.

'Wasted'? Does he value you that little?

Ow Ow Ow, all good advice here, hope you heal better than this thread makes me suspect you will
sad.gif

Top Bottom