Knocking Noise Solved.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nmfeb70

Hi everyone, just an update. A while ago I posted a dilemma I had with a knocking noise coming from the rear wheel. It has been an ongoing problem since I bought the bike and, despite replacing the rear freewheel, the noise has persisted. I think I have now solved it. It seems something (stiff chain link, mud, oil) was slightly clogging and then lifting the pulley when pedalling, causing it to knock against the rear freewheel cog. I took a bucket of soapy water with a stiff handbrush and cleaned the bike, paying particular attention to the derailleur, pulleys, freewheel and chain until they were shining like new. After drying the bike I then wiped some GT85 along the chain and then some TF2. The bike now rides like new.

OP
OP
nmfeb70

nmfeb70

Ah well, the dreaded knocking noise has started again. If anyone is still interested it's an intermittent plastic sounding knocking noise coming from the back wheel when rotating the pedals? It occurs mostly when I'm using the middle cogs of the rear freewheel. Sigh!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Ah well, the dreaded knocking noise has started again. If anyone is still interested it's an intermittent plastic sounding knocking noise coming from the back wheel when rotating the pedals? It occurs mostly when I'm using the middle cogs of the rear freewheel. Sigh!
My wife's bike suffered from this kind of noise when only a few months old. I took the rear hub bearings out and cleaned, re-greased and adjusted correctly. Never heard the noise again. Try that.

I guess you mean it’s a noise coming from the rear, when in the middle sprockets of a cassette. If it is, check the ‘angle of dangle’ of the derailleur. Tweak the ‘b’ screw, ( that’s the screw on the rear mech that isn’t marked ‘H’ or ‘L’ ) to see if it disappears, it could just be a bit of knock because the tension is wrong.

Top Bottom