Knocking noise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
It wasn't sorted, but I wasn't a million miles from the problem. The knocking resumed fairly quickly after my triumphant post above! Today I bought and fitted a new rear mechanism, more in hope than reason. No difference apart from making shifting far lighter and more positive. I decided to give the shed a tidy while the weather was good and in a bag I found a brand new genuineShimano 7 speed freewheel. I cannot recall when or why I got it but never being one to look a gift horse in the mouth I decided to fit it and just see what happens. Several silent miles later with no knocking I am feeling more confident that this time I have cured it. It does mean that I have to use the downtube shifter on friction rather than indexed as it is a 6 speed shifter but that is no problem. It's just like the good old days!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Glad you got it sorted....well fingers crossed

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I bet when I find the cause, and I will eventually, it will be something so obvious I will be kicking myself.

I think I may have it sorted. I fitted an old freewheel on the wheel, went for a ride and no noise. So I then fitted another old freewheel with the same result. I then refitted the original new freewheel that I had on when the knocking occured and rode a couple of miles and there was no noise. Why removing the freewheel and refitting it should make any difference must remain one of life's mysteries. It will take a few miles before I claim complete victory though!

I am kicking myself.

I found and demonstrated the problem and it's probably cure but then allowed myself to become sidetracked. 25 miles this morning with no noise so I declare the job a good'un

Top Bottom