Knowhow rollers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
This should probably be in knowhow but you don't get any replies there.

My son wants a set of rollers and i have (sort of) agreed.

Any recommendations? Are the fifty quid Tacx ones ok?

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't use them myself but generally Tacx equipment is good so I think you won't go far wrong with that purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mortiroloboy

I have a set of the TACX Sporttrack (foldable) rollers, which are excellent. Tad more than £50 though, more like £70 if you shop around. Rollers are great for improving balance, but not much use for resistance, like a turbo, with rollers the only resistance you get is from the gears. But they are a lot less boring than a turbo, as you need total concentration.

stevenb

I'd love to have a go on them.
It's the getting on and starting bit and stopping/getting off it bit that scares me.
How do you do it? Stick it against a wall and support yourself?

Mortiroloboy

stevenb said:
I'd love to have a go on them.
It's the getting on and starting bit and stopping/getting off it bit that scares me.
How do you do it? Stick it against a wall and support yourself?

Like any 'skill' you have to work at it, but ridig rollers is not as difficult as you might think (otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it)

basically you need to start with a fixed object, like a counter top or door way as support, rollers are a couple of inches off the deck, so it's a little tricky climbing on the bike and clipping in, so use the counter as support, climb on clip in then start pedalling support your weight with one hand, keeping the other on the 'bars, build up a bit of speed, and let go of the counter top, and get hold of the bars.

Keep the momentum going, don't look down, but rather look at a point in front of you, keeping central, that way your front wheel will not wander across the roller drum, and you will stay on course.

Changing gear is a bit awkward at first, but you will soon get the knack of going up and down the rear block and from small to big ring.

Plug into an MP3, get some banging tunes going, and before you know it you'll have racked up twenty or more miles in a session.

You will get warm, some people have a fan going, or ride in the garage if you have one.

Google 'how to ride rollers' for a better explanation.:smile:

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
User259iroloboy said:
I have a set of the TACX Sporttrack (foldable) rollers, which are excellent. Tad more than £50 though, more like £70 if you shop around. Rollers are great for improving balance, but not much use for resistance, like a turbo, with rollers the only resistance you get is from the gears. But they are a lot less boring than a turbo, as you need total concentration.

Ta. Haven't quite decided if we need folding rollers or not. Are they less sturdy?

And it's rollers he needs, not a turbo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Argh.... got crash barriers at the end of the garage.... takes lots of concentration..... far too much when giving it some... I prefer a turbo, but hate that as well..... give me the black stuff.........

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
User259iroloboy said:
Once they are open and in use they are rock solid.

Another muppet question - are they likely to last less long?

I mean is the folding thingy weaker?

Mortiroloboy

Nope, they are made of fairly heavy gauge steel, I got the folders because, when I ordered them, I originally ordered the one piece version, the guy sent me folders as they hadn't got the standard version in stock. The rigid version would probably stand on its end, and lean against a wall, they are a bit cheaper too, can't for the life of me remember where I got mine from though, sorry.

Hmm leisure sport or something like that?

Top Bottom