Knowledge and Perception of UK Dog Law - Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Done.

drummerbod

This question needs re-wording:
"7. In the following dog breeds which are currently banned within the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act ?"

Should this read "Which of the following dog breeds are currently banned in the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act?"

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
Not a particular reference to the OP, but it depresses me no end that so many of the requests for help with research contain basic errors.

sidevalve

Über Member
The problem seems to be if you refer to banned breeds or dangerous dogs. Any dog can be classed as dangerous, from a chihuahua to a wolfhound and be either legally restrained or destroyed depending on the severity of the attack [sadly it doesn't refer to humans as well]. I'm afraid your whole survey is either based on the premise that the act covers certain breeds only [it doesn't] or that the police etc have no powers over other breeds [yes they do]. Unless of course you are simply trying to discover the level of general ignorance of the law in which case fair enough.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Thanks guys, I will look at the logic behind question 9 needing another tick first.

As for question 7 thanks for the feedback. Defining questions is quite tricky but the only place that defines 'banned breeds' is the Dangerous Dogs Act. Therefore I don't think it should be "and" as this would imply that there is more than one place that defines banned breeds (using Boolean logic for 'and').

This was how I came to my question but I'm a scientist and not a literature student so I may be wrong.

Hopefully it still makes enough sense for people to answer.

Cheers

byegad

Legendary Member
Answered! I think the main issue is the owner rather than the dog. Too many people think of a dog as a status symbol, to show how 'hard' they are and deliberately train them to be aggressive. Perhaps rather than putting down dangerous dogs we should be doing this to the dangerous, anti-social owners.

drummerbod

There are many issues that lead to dog attacks:
The breed
The owner
The quantity of dogs - pack instinct

Guess I should read the dangerous dogs act and see how it covers the above - I bet iot doesn't

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
This question needs re-wording:
"7. In the following dog breeds which are currently banned within the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act ?"

Should this read "Which of the following dog breeds are currently banned in the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act?"
As for question 7 thanks for the feedback. Defining questions is quite tricky but the only place that defines 'banned breeds' is the Dangerous Dogs Act. Therefore I don't think it should be "and" as this would imply that there is more than one place that defines banned breeds (using Boolean logic for 'and').

This was how I came to my question but I'm a scientist and not a literature student so I may be wrong.

Hopefully it still makes enough sense for people to answer.
:scratch:

Afraid that neither the original question in the survey nor your answer above make any sense at all!

Not a particular reference to the OP, but it depresses me no end that so many of the requests for help with research contain basic errors.

Share the same concern. It will be good if the supervisor or even a friend run thru the questions first. Imagine somone not being frightened when they are facing a dog attack.

Top Bottom