Koga, E World Traveller

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Not totally sure the point of this thread, other to listen to the opinions of others or maybe hopeful that someone can talk me out of picking up this little number in the new year.

Screenshot_20221211_182006_Office.jpg

Maybe there will be sale on.:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have to say I find batteries stuck on like that super fugly, mostly used by delivery riders!

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I can't say I have ever seen a delivery rider out on one of these.

There is an option for a battery on the rear rack, but I reckon that is where my tent is going.

I don't think the battery position will bother me, just not sure of the motor size. 🤔

vickster

Legendary Member

There is an option for a battery on the rear rack, but I reckon that is where my tent is going.

I don't think the battery position will bother me, just not sure of the motor size. 🤔

i meant bike with an external battery, but if it suits, cool

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Not many e-bike charging stations in some parts of the world.
Believe @steveindenmark has a non battery version.

There is a dual battery option but at something like 600 quid, I felt one battery would suffice for my plans.

I might have a think about that though.

I am not married to the E version, but do think longer term, it will suit my longer term plans.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!

Any report I've read from owners with rack mounted batteries complain about the bike being too top heavy and problems fitting panniers.
75nm from the motor it's specced with is plenty for touring but you'll have to work hard up hills of 15% or more if heavily laden.
I'd be more concerned with the battery size. 13.4ah lasting 140km? Unless Bosch motors are umpteen times more efficient than Bafang alternatives, that seems far fetched.
My 20ah battery will power my 48v 750w Bafang motor to 144km IF I use it on minimal power (just enough to overcome motor resistance) on mostly level terrain with a tailwind for half the trip. I tested that.
If I was buying that bike, I'd go for the non powered version and fit an aftermarket motor and battery for a good £100 less. Plus, if you wanted to ever go motor free, converting back to a normal chainset and BB is pretty easy. Not sure if a frame tailored to a motor has that option.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Any report I've read from owners with rack mounted batteries complain about the bike being too top heavy and problems fitting panniers.
75nm from the motor it's specced with is plenty for touring but you'll have to work hard up hills of 15% or more if heavily laden.
I'd be more concerned with the battery size. 13.4ah lasting 140km? Unless Bosch motors are umpteen times more efficient than Bafang alternatives, that seems far fetched.
My 20ah battery will power my 48v 750w Bafang motor to 144km IF I use it on minimal power (just enough to overcome motor resistance) on mostly level terrain with a tailwind for half the trip. I tested that.
If I was buying that bike, I'd go for the non powered version and fit an aftermarket motor and battery for a good £100 less. Plus, if you wanted to ever go motor free, converting back to a normal chainset and BB is pretty easy. Not sure if a frame tailored to a motor has that option.

Yeah, that was my initial concern regarding the additional battery.

I'm not concerned about the bosch motor at all. Mrs Slick has that motor and it could easily handle what I need and working hard now and again will suit me fine. Charging on multiple day tours is a concern, but I'm hopeful I can manage that.

D

Deleted member 121159

I'm very interested in the regular one - the geometry seems spot on, i.e., slightly longer top tube than drop bar bikes, but nothing like an MTB; high-ish stack but not too high; long chainstay, etc. Looks like this one has the same geometry. But where can you buy them in the UK?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Not many e-bike charging stations in some parts of the world.
Believe @steveindenmark has a non battery version.

Yes I have and it is excellent.

I looked at the Koga World Traveller when I was looking for an E bike. I decided against it as I already have a World Traveller and I do not like external batteries.

I bought a Moustache Friday 28.7 instead and would certainly suggest that Slick has a look at that as it is a super bike with a range of about 120km. I cannot fault it and have ridden about 1000km on it since I bought it in the summer.

From all that I've read that's one of the great world touring bikes - at least the acoustic version.
I think @Vantage is spot on to consider battery capacity and range.

Charging on multiple day tours is a concern, but I'm hopeful I can manage that.
This is the thing.
It's not clear if you're camping or not but camping may involve higher costs or different pitches or even skipping certain sites if you're needing electricity or longer breaks as you charge up at a coffee shop etc.

If planning on going abroad it might be no harm to check out current regulations. As far as I understand it, E-bikes are definitely not allowed on planes and may not be allowed on ferries.

But as for a bike designed for Laden adventures in most conditions? Perfect!

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
From all that I've read that's one of the great world touring bikes - at least the acoustic version.
I think @Vantage is spot on to consider battery capacity and range.

This is the thing.
It's not clear if you're camping or not but camping may involve higher costs or different pitches or even skipping certain sites if you're needing electricity or longer breaks as you charge up at a coffee shop etc.

If planning on going abroad it might be no harm to check out current regulations. As far as I understand it, E-bikes are definitely not allowed on planes and may not be allowed on ferries.

But as for a bike designed for Laden adventures in most conditions? Perfect!

Yes I'm camping and whilst I usually have Mrs Slick with me to blame for staying in nice hotels, the plans this time is to do more with my brother who's preference will be for wild camping but I'm confident I can chat him into a site.

Also, we did a wee mini tour in the Netherlands 2 years ago now, with Mrs Slick on an ebike and never had an issue. To be fair, I don't remember telling anyone we had an ebike which may explain it.

Finally, this bike is a bit of a dream machine for me. Its far too expensive to be considered a sensible purchase, but that hasn't stopped me hankering after it for some time now, so much so, I'm sure I would already have one, if I had a chance to actually touch one.

I've never wasted much money on myself, but that may be about to change. :okay:

Top Bottom