Koga Miyata?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are a lot of good heavy duty tourers on the market – I have a Thorn and at the time I bought it 12 years ago my short list was between the Thorn and a Roberts – today I would add the Koga and the Surly with an eye on a few other mainly because I have met other people on the road and they seem to perform as well as my Thorn – In my experience when it comes down to it a good frame may be the base (I like steel and I like a bike that does not flex very much when braking heavily loaded going fast into a corner) However, reliability and ease of ride comes down to what it is equipped with – wheels , drive train, brakes, tyres, racks etc, etc – and there are more opinions and preferences than there are members on this board

In the end you just have to go with what you fancy (and can afford) its your choice

One of the things that always amuses me is the reviews in magazines that source a frame and then test it as a XXXXXX (insert brand of bike) and then build it up with whatever components they fancy and then proceed to mark the whole bike down on the basis of the performance of the components that they have selected.

As an after-thought my Thorn could never be described as bling or pretty - I am an admirer of substance over style - but over the years the number of people that have gone out of their way to come up to me to compliment me on it (often riding what I would not mind owning myself) is substantial - pretty is nice - performance is the key

jags

Guru
i not really into bling on a tourer ok i am on my road bike well why not.
but i want the tourer to appear your run of the mill bike don't want some thief eyeing it up for there next trophy .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bauldbairn said:
Mark Beaumont had problems with his in last weeks TV docu.
Although he did manage to get some local bike mech's to bodge a repair for him - to get him back on the road.
I thought that was funny. He looked so worried when they took a hammer and chisel to his bike! :thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
money and practical issue aside I'd go for a Rivendell or practically a Villiers-Velo

Reality bites? Surly LHT from Brixton Cycles; I know of no finer Surly dealer

More sense than dosh? EBC Revolution (but I would say that given what I ride....)

Fancy your luck? an old Galaxy off eBay, fix it up and sell it on if touring isn't your bag. or riding a bike that handles like a truck doesn't float your boat.

too many bikes.... too many choices

bauldbairn

ColinJ said:
I thought that was funny. He looked so worried when they took a hammer and chisel to his bike! :biggrin:

Yeah so did I! :smile:

His bottom bracket also packed in - luckily he met an ex pro-cycle mechanic who had one.
I was surprised at the lack of spares he's carried - and his apparant lack of basic maintenance/knowledge.:smile:
I'm shocked at the amount of work that's had to be done to the bike. I'd have thought Koga would have double checked/double sealed everything. I know he's covering a fair few miles in extreme conditions but the Koga's taking a pounding.

Still a good show/great achievement though. :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
GregCollins said:
money and practical issue aside I'd go for a Rivendell or practically a Villiers-Velo

Well 3 of my touring friends ride a Viliers!

View attachment 6054

And here is my wife with hers!

View attachment 6055

p.m. me if you want some more info Greg!

willem

Über Member
I think the issue here is what the bike would be used for, and what kind of budget there is. Think about this before thinking about brands. If budget is tight, bikes like a Thorn Sherpa or a Surley Long Haul Trucker are excellent, if budget is unlimited, Idworx is a superb off the peg bike. However, if you are spending that kind of money, a custom tourer would get my vote (that is how I voted with my money). But first, where are you going, what roads, how much luggage, what kind of rider are you? Are you doing fast credit card touring, round the world expedition style touring, or light weight camping holidays in France etc?
Willem

P.H

Über Member
willem said:
But first, where are you going, what roads, how much luggage, what kind of rider are you? Are you doing fast credit card touring, round the world expedition style touring, or light weight camping holidays in France etc?
Willem
...and until you've tried it you won't really know. I like some things I never thought I would and dislike some I was keen to try. In truth you can do most things on a reasonable quality bike. So my advise would be to spend as little as you can get away with on a bike and as much as you can afford on doing some touring. After a few tours, you'll know what you want and have a far better chance of getting it right.

EDIT - Have a look here for an idea of the bikes people choose to tour on and this is only the full luggage tourers;
http://www.pbase.com/canyonlands/fullyloaded

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
rich p said:
p.m. me if you want some more info Greg!

I aspire to own one, the ones I've seen are stunningly well executed 'old-skool' (aka classic) bikes, but only when domestic arrangements allow. So not for a while yet....:smile:

friedel

These pages from our site may help you at least see the different options:

Expedition touring bikes (Koga, Santos, Thorn etc)

Mid Range Touring Bikes

As others have said, it really depends on what you're planning. Almost any mid-range bike will be fine for most people's needs. If you're thinking more an around the world bike that you plan to keep for a lifetime, then go for something in the Expedition price range. You can always get a mid-range bike and upgrade it later into an excellent expedition bike with better quality parts.

How long is the stem I need to replace my handlebars and they look just the job - it is just I like to be a bit further forward than that

Top Bottom