Kona Dew cleanup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
A cleaned back wheel with replacement spoke and the first of the new parts, a shiny cassette. It still feels weird to me to have brand new components in their packaging lying round the house, like a magnificent wild animal has been captured by a zoo and dressed up in silly clothes for the entertainment of the public.

Only really the bottom bracket and cables left to do, I'm aiming to finish it this week and take it up the gravel road to the Kilpatrick hills before the rain comes back, it'll be the only bike with the gearing and tyres to make it up there!

Attachments

• IMG_20220321_101226_324.jpg
    IMG_20220321_101226_324.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
1649013732176.jpeg

The pedals make the back wheel go round and the front brake stops the front wheel from going round so technically it's usable on the roads, but the gear cables aren't attached yet and the back V-brake needs replacing.

Total damage will be new cables (outers were fine with a bit of grease), new rear brake calipers, and new rear derailleur (the old one was fine apart from the barrel adjuster which broke off in the thread and I made a mess of trying to get the remainder out). New cassette and chain would have been routine maintenance anyway so doesn't really count.

The crankset is functioning but not at all pretty - the pedal bearings are a bit ropey but the pedals seem to be welded to the cranks so it may be a case of replacing everything once the pedals are no longer acceptable.

I'll take a photo once it's done and the wee guy is on it, he's going to help me stay in Zone 2 on my lunchtime rides. :smile:

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Finally made it up the Kilpatrick hills, 25% gravel climb at some points, was fine with the gears but kept losing traction so had to put a foot down a few times. I didn't trust the bike/myself to safely descend that way, not least because the saddle was set too high for that kind of thing; so took it over the mud trails and then down a more shallow gravel path the other side, which the brakes and tyres coped admirably with, me not so much, and was glad to get back onto smooth tarmac at the other end, zen state restored. :smile: And yes I did clean it afterwards this time.

IMG_20220414_122842_803.jpg

It's a really nice bike to ride and the chunky tyres should make it very stable when the Wee Ride seat is back on it.

IMG_20220414_144803_822.jpg

Now about that Raleigh Zest in the shed...

Top Bottom