Kona Sutra - Fully loaded touring??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

I'm looking for a relatively cheap bike to do fully loaded, long distance touring on. I can get one of the above (2008) for about £700. There doesn't seem to be an awful lot more out there for similar money that would get the job done.

Does anyone have any experience of the above bike, or know of anything similar that would be suitable for rides such as JOGLE for no more than £700.

Any help appreciated.

just jim

Here's a Bike Radar review:

link

And here's one from 2008:

link

I'd say at that price (and if it's the right frame size) you'll do aright.

Mooster

I bought the 08 Sutra last year. A young baby meant I didn't get much touring done on it but I did manage a couple of weekends away in the Lakes- fully loaded with camping gear. I bought it for a few reasons - I like the low standover height and its a pretty rugged build- I like to detour off the road sometime and with the right tyres this bike can certainly handle it. Also, I really liked the look of it!

One of the niggles you hear people mention with this bike is about the rear rack mounts which are slightly raised up the seat stays to avoid the brake calipers. I've read rumours on the web (US based posts) about these mounts breaking. However, when I've tried to google it I've never come across first hand accounts, only hearsay from people without the bike. I can't see why these mounts should be any less robust than usual and they certainly appear well welded on. I would however say that the rack itself is not great and I could imagine that not lasting too long - I plan upgrading that before this years big trip.

Some people don't like discs on touring bikes, but I like them and have no issues with the ease of maintenance.

Because of the style of the build (which is very reminicent of an early Kona mountain bike), its quite a heavy bike, but you don't really notice this when riding.

All in all I love it (but doesn't everyone say that about their bikes!?)

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Thanks for the info guys, particularly helpful Mooster.

I'm trying to negotiate with a fella at the moment over the sale of a brand new 2008 version for £600, he wants £675. As Evans are selling the exact same bike for £750 which obviously will have a full warranty and free service, if he doesn't come down that low, I'm thinking I will but from Evans.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom