Koolstop pads :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I picked up a set of black Koolstop brake blocks for my bike as my current pads were getting worn, they look odd due to the scraper edge but I liked the idea, they fitted as expected and looked the dogs nutts :blush:

However in use its a different story, ok so they were new and I knew they needed bedding in, so 10 miles light and hard braking is all that I've ever needed on any brakes, but these are scary. I did the norm bedding in, they felt squishy and soft, in fact they really didn't seem to stop like they were meant to, but I carried on in hope. I did a 50 mile loop, the back brakes settled down quickly but the front clicked, juddered and felt seriously wrong.

In fact on one hill, I forgot about the brake issue and was riding in the traffic flow at 40mph, when I went to slow and finally stop it was almost a brown trouser moment, they DID NOT want to stop me, yes they slowed me but I was pulling the brakes like my life depended on them, well it did and I wasn't sure they would stop me.

Once home I ripped them out, they were all bedded in perfectly, but they are crap in my mind, they are now in the bin never to be used or bought again, tomorrow i'll be right down the LBS to get some Dura Ace ones, I know they don't last too long but they do stop me.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Leave the Blacks on the back and fit Salmons to the front. Koolstop Salmons are most excellent and highly recommended.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Never had a problem with mine - Salmon in front, and mixed (half salmon, half black) in back.

If you really can't get on with them, Shimano's wet/dry compound is pretty good too, although harder and so need a bit more looking after ime.

Well Dura Ace pads fitted and now I can stop on a sixpence, maybe salmon KS is good but I'll never fit KS again, one bad try with them and never again. Obviously like everything else what works for one doesn't always work for another, and for me KS pads are crap.

Tynan said:
rims?

and 40mph?

wha?

Whats wrong with 40mph, on the same slope I've pushed hard and hit 47 and its only 500m long and no more than a 7% slope, its all about coming round the top roundabout at above 25 and then spinning up good and hard, one day I'll put it in the 12 ring and see what I really can get.

Radius

SHREDDER
HeartAttack said:
I'll never fit KS again, one bad try with them and never again. Obviously like everything else what works for one doesn't always work for another, and for me KS pads are crap.

That doesn't really make sense. You tried one possibly inappropriate set of pads and you've decided they're all crap. That's like me having a 2200 groupset break down quickly, and trying to tell you Shim DA 7900 is no good...

Radius said:
That doesn't really make sense. You tried one possibly inappropriate set of pads and you've decided they're all crap. That's like me having a 2200 groupset break down quickly, and trying to tell you Shim DA 7900 is no good...

Not at all, I used what was recommended to my by Kool Stop for dry racing when using my dura ace wheels, they said salmon would not be ideal in race conditions, I did a normal training ride which was at basically race speed etc, the pads sucked big time.

So no I used what I was advised and found them crap, oh and as for Shim 7900 is no good, glad you agree it is, so is that italian one too, you're better off with Sram Red, much better by far :tongue:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The Salmons on my front brakes are truly excellent on my Aksiums. However, neither the Salmons or the Blacks have been any use on my rear wheel. The pads that came with the bike were excellent and could lock the wheel up if I braked hard enough.

Now, I can grab as much rear brake as I can with the Koolstops and I still keep accelerating downhill. They have zero stopping power for some reason; rims are clean, pads aren't contaminated. They just can't stop me.

Top Bottom