Koomot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TAV

Guru
Hi I've bought a wahoo element roam for use when I start my audax rides I've downloaded koomot but I've put down road bike on the start of the routes but they're taking me down trails instead of keeping me on the road can anyone give some advice cheers.

Assuming you have the app, after selecting "Plan", at the top of the screen you have the option to choose different "sports". Make sure you have selected Road cycling.

By the by, I've used Komoot and don't rate it at all. (Others will disagree^_^)
Cycle.travel is far superior in my opinion, just make sure you use the paved/unpaved toggle correctly if you want to stay on hard surfaces.
It is straightforward to sync with your Wahoo too.

Good luck!

lane

Veteran
Assuming you have the app, after selecting "Plan", at the top of the screen you have the option to choose different "sports". Make sure you have selected Road cycling.

By the by, I've used Komoot and don't rate it at all. (Others will disagree^_^)
Cycle.travel is far superior in my opinion, just make sure you use the paved/unpaved toggle correctly if you want to stay on hard surfaces.
It is straightforward to sync with your Wahoo too.

Good luck!

Out of interest what do you find better about Cycle Travel?

Out of interest what do you find better about Cycle Travel?
Simply put, I prefer the routes cycle travel creates and I trust the routes that it creates far more than any other planner (I do a bit of touring).

At home, I tried end to end routing on most of the apps and compared them to what I knew. Cycle.travel were consistently the best - for me.

I threw some routes together in about 15 minutes for a trip to Ireland. Home to Rotterdam, Hull to Holyhead, Dublin to hometown. Hometown to Belfast. Stranraer to Hull. Once I had a problem when a cut through a housing estate was blocked. Easily solved by staying on the main road. And once, in NL there was no scheduled ferry at the crossing - my fault for not checking, it was out of season. I wouldn't trust Komoot to do a route of that length.

You have to remember that those are subjective characteristics, and also, that I started exploring the gps world when I was in NL. I firmly believe that different planners may be more suitable in different places - I just haven't found that place yet for Komoot^_^ and cycle.travel has worked and worked well in just about every place I've tried it.
It does have a tendency to route away from towns though.

It's also handy to be able to have direct contact with the developer! Is it bragging to mention that an entire country has been added to cycle.travel for my benefit! 😊 Richard posts on these fora.

With any planner you have to be ready for anything. With cycle.travel I have found the surprises far less.

I have tried Osmand (my backup), Google Maps, Strava, RWGPS, Komoot, Bikemap and one or two others. Cycle.travel wins hands down.

A worthy mention for Osmand. Not the greatest planner but it will work offline. With the right cable I can create a route to my specifications and get it onto my Wahoo with no internet connectivity at all.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Only problem is that cycle travel isn't on my Wahoo element roam so that's no good to me. I bought it to use with a cycling app there all on there except that strange.

Only problem is that cycle travel isn't on my Wahoo element roam so that's no good to me. I bought it to use with a cycling app there all on there except that strange.
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean?
No app is "on" the Roam. Some, like RWGPS or Komoot can be "joined" to your Wahoo App (not the unit) and sync automatically.

To use a cycle.travel gpx or tcx file (or any gpx or tcx file it should be a case of simply clicking on that file on your phone, choosing the Wahoo Elemnt App to open it with and that's it.
I find that quicker than waiting for all the syncing.

acuna_read

I have found Ride With GPS much better to use for me personally than Komoot. I'm using a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt though. Definitely going to have a good look at cycle.world though. 👍

As to the original question, already been answered by checking your preferences/settings.

I have found Ride With GPS much better to use for me personally than Komoot. I'm using a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt though. Definitely going to have a good look at cycle.world though. 👍

As to the original question, already been answered by checking your preferences/settings.
https://cycle.travel/ ^_^

I used to like Ride With GPS but in recent months found its routing suggestions increasingly focused on finding any bit of quiet road no matter how short - so for example, suggesting frequent detours onto 50 metre parallel side streets. As a result I had to do more and more editing to suggested routes, the problem getting much worse than it used to be.

Cycle.travel route suggestions seem far more reliable and the very small additional effort of dragging and dropping tcx files onto the Wahoo "folder" more than pays for itself in terms of less editing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean?
No app is "on" the Roam. Some, like RWGPS or Komoot can be "joined" to your Wahoo App (not the unit) and sync automatically.

To use a cycle.travel gpx or tcx file (or any gpx or tcx file it should be a case of simply clicking on that file on your phone, choosing the Wahoo Elemnt App to open it with and that's it.
I find that quicker than waiting for all the syncing.
That's what I mean there's no file on wahoo element roam for cycle travel you can sync rwgps and koomot but cycle travel isn't on there.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
Strava looks ok for route planning but I don't think I would use it enough to justify the cost £6 a month I know it's not much.

That's what I mean there's no file on wahoo element roam for cycle travel you can sync rwgps and koomot but cycle travel isn't on there.
Unfortunately Wahoo haven't opened up their Cloud API (the method for websites to sync to a Wahoo unit) yet - it's been "coming soon!" for about a year now. You can of course still download a file from cycle.travel and open it as Hobbes says - it's just an extra tap or two. cycle.travel does sync directly to Garmin units, Wahoo are just being a bit dilatory!

Great I'll have a look
You could try looking on YouTube. I find it a great resource.

I did find this for using a phone from a website

View: https://youtu.be/K47ZmgL6liQ

Or this using a computer & usb cable

View: https://youtu.be/VzAImRdP8CE

It's not what you want to do but the principle is exactly the same.

It's worth getting to know how your unit works anyway.
If you prefer Komoot/Strava/RWGPS fair enough, but it would be a shame to dismiss cycle.travel based on convenience.

If you want more help, post up details of your phone/computer (android/Windows/Apple)

Top Bottom