L-B-L *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I thought he was born and brought up in Brum?
He was to an Irish mother which meant he could declare either GBR or IRL as his home country.

I could have done the same (My licence(both cycling and triathlon) is IRL) but it's pretty irrelevant at amateur level. Once you're in the realm of funding and turning pro, a different federation may be able to cater slightly better for you.

Gavin Noble and Aileen Reid are good examples (IRL Triathletes) both could have declared GBR as they are from NI, but the chances of funding from British Triathlon were slim given the huge mainland based talent pool.

*Triathlon like cycling, is a unified body here.

raindog

er.....
Yes, I knew his mam was Irish and part of the Roche family.
Anyroad, a fantastic win. I imagine Kelly was really chuffed - he sounded it. :smile:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The French commentators were calling him "Dean Martin" at one point they were so excited - well, I guess he is a big star now.

And superbly set up by Hesjedal - looked very strong and practically controlled the last by 10km himself. Sky, in contrast, left Henao on his own and the finish wasn't steep enough for him to do well without some support. So much for the '5 options' Porte was going on about. Both Purito and Betancur looked good again though and Valverde. Going to be a great Giro!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
He was to an Irish mother which meant he could declare either GBR or IRL as his home country.

I could have done the same (My licence(both cycling and triathlon) is IRL) but it's pretty irrelevant at amateur level. Once you're in the realm of funding and turning pro, a different federation may be able to cater slightly better for you.

Gavin Noble and Aileen Reid are good examples (IRL Triathletes) both could have declared GBR as they are from NI, but the chances of funding from British Triathlon were slim given the huge mainland based talent pool.

*Triathlon like cycling, is a unified body here.
Does this mean that Noble and Reid simply chose to compete for IRL? I'd wondered about Martyn Irvine, NI, when he took gold and silver at the World Tracks riding for IRL.

and in other news, Schleck comes in ahead of Contador at LBL.

thom

____
as I'm in England at the moment, can't get to watch the cycling so just got to watched it on the itv player, WHAT! a race and another great day for the Irish, brilliant, ^_^

on the issue of representation, only those born in Northern Ireland, irrespective of religion can represent either Ireland or GB but those born in the Republic of Ireland can only represent Ireland...
<pedant>
1) They'd be representing the UK, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, not GB per se. But it is true that as with the Olympics, Team GB is the accepted shorthand.
2) Obviously representation based upon ancestry gives more rights than birthplace alone.
</pedant>

Hont

Guru
Fantastic win and a great race for the last 20k or so (thanks mainly to Hesjedal), although I probably would not be writing that if Valverde had won. First one day classic in ages (probably since Evans' win in Fleche) where I've really been cheering on the eventual (clean) winner.

On the nationality front, Dan Martin is as much Irish as Chris Froome is British IMHO, so if I dismiss Froome's achievements with "he's not really British" then I can celebrate Dan's with "he's a Brummie really". ;)

400bhp

Guru
Great stuff.

Don't often see purito getting turned over on the steep stuff.

Garmin are looking good this year:thumbsup:

Might have to get myself to go and watch the Giro TT stage now :becool:

Top Bottom