L2P 2019 - is anyone here training for this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Did Pedal to Paris myself back in 2010. It's not a hard ride, really. Day one is the toughest, but mainly because of the time pressure- there's a ferry, it's booked, they want you all on it. But the Legion's got this ride down to a fine art. You'll have a rolling roadblock to get you all out of London, and you will fly along. Yes, you, no matter how slow you claim you are. It's like being in a Grand Tour peloton, only a bit bigger and a bit slower ;) You will be well fed, and if you have a mechanical there will be help. If you need it, there will be a broom wagon. And you most definitely will not get lost. In other words, stop worrying and ride your bike. Then ride it some more. Any and all riding you do in the meantime will help.
My write-up here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/royal-british-legion-pedal-to-paris-2010.61518/#post-1153912

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Did Pedal to Paris myself back in 2010. It's not a hard ride, really. Day one is the toughest, but mainly because of the time pressure- there's a ferry, it's booked, they want you all on it. But the Legion's got this ride down to a fine art. You'll have a rolling roadblock to get you all out of London, and you will fly along. Yes, you, no matter how slow you claim you are. It's like being in a Grand Tour peloton, only a bit bigger and a bit slower ;) You will be well fed, and if you have a mechanical there will be help. If you need it, there will be a broom wagon. And you most definitely will not get lost. In other words, stop worrying and ride your bike. Then ride it some more. Any and all riding you do in the meantime will help.
My write-up here:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/royal-british-legion-pedal-to-paris-2010.61518/#post-1153912
Thanks a lot for sharing.
I am so excited and yet nervous. I am riding every day and every weekend... the next long weekend will do back to back 3 days longish rides. Hearing from riders who have done it before is always inspiring and reassuring

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

why straight? surely a round trip makes sense?

Where do you live and I will happily plan you a 50 mile route. You could do it twice.
Yes i do round trips also but doing straight is less boring. I am based in greenwich area in london and do the thames path as much as it goes sometimes

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks a lot for sharing.
I am so excited and yet nervous. I am riding every day and every weekend... the next long weekend will do back to back 3 days longish rides. Hearing from riders who have done it before is always inspiring and reassuring
You need to build rest days into your training to avoid burnout and injury

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks all ... those who have done 80 miles in one day ... how difficult is it?
Upto 40 to 50 miles i dont get that tired ...if i dont have to worry about navigation ... beyond that i have not cycled. So wondering what to do

Once you can cycle 50 miles comfortably, there is no real difference doing 75 or 100 miles. You just keep eating and drinking.

One bit of advice is, if you're doing back to back day riding, try and use a higher pedal cadence. Ideally above 90rpm, it really does save the legs from suffering major fatigue.

Lots of Chamois cream for long days in the saddle-but you should know this by now

It was only a few years ago I started doing back to back day tours, I found spinning saved my legs and I was able to do it over and over.

Re Navigation I moved from Garmin to Wahoo Elemnt because its so much easier to use. Also I carry my phone which is a map back up (google maps) so never get lost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom