La Marmotte 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Guys,

Thinking of doing the Marmotte next year and would like to ask any of you that have completed it your impressions on difficulty, organization, arrangements, travel, accommodation etc... Plus any tips or gotcha's would be helpful. I'm not a bad climber and was planning to do an Alps trip in 2013 anyway, so the Marmotte may be a nice way to crown it off.

Thx

J

U

User482

Bumping this seeing as I've entered for next year. This could hurt...

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
[QUOTE 2197208, member: 76"]I've got a friend who did this two years ago. He said it was quite enjoyable at first. He only had good things to say about the medical staff who had excellent English, and were very understanding as they put the drip in at the end, a process made easier as his veins were nicely visible due to the dehydration and bout of stomach cramping sickness up the Galibier. Apparently it's the highest he has ever thrown up without being in an aeroplane. To be honest, he has not really been the same since.

You should have a hoot :whistle:[/quote]

Way to sound encouraging :laugh:....

I've signed up for a weeks package which included entry and 1 weeks riding / acclimatisation in the area. Got a new crankset coming after xmas (50/34 as I usually run a 53/39) and have gone with an 11-28 on the rear. Training has already started on building low cadence power and sustained power output over long periods.

CANT WAIT!! :hyper:

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
A few of my club mates are doing the full thing but by the time I signed up it was only the Mini one left :sad: hopefully I can logistically tie in with them or its 62euro wasted :wacko:

As it's all done on public open roads, there's no way they can stop you riding the full route, you just won't get timed. You could wait at the roadside just away from the start and join up after they gone through the official start (you can't join them at the start as it's dependant upon entry number) and off you go. Not sure if you will be able to use the feed stations, but you can look after the bikes whilst they grab you some scoff and water.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've done it all but only in bits....

...which is what I would be if I tried the whole thing in one go!
Good luck, a great challenge.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I've signed up for a weeks package which included entry and 1 weeks riding / acclimatisation in the area. Got a new crankset coming after xmas (50/34 as I usually run a 53/39) and have gone with an 11-28 on the rear. Training has already started on building low cadence power and sustained power output over long periods.

CANT WAIT!! :hyper:

I'm in too and have started training - numbers seem to be getting allocated and I'm 7088! Looks like I'll have a late start and there won't be much left at the feed stations by the time I reach them - Will have to try and make steady progress to try and still get a decent time.

Hey Adrian (HLaB), your mates got accommodation sorted out yet? I still have up to 4 spaces from 3-10July (or part of that week) at the apartment I've booked, Kev

I'm in too and have started training - numbers seem to be getting allocated and I'm 7088! Looks like I'll have a late start and there won't be much left at the feed stations by the time I reach them - Will have to try and make steady progress to try and still get a decent time.

Hey Adrian (HLaB), your mates got accommodation sorted out yet? I still have up to 4 spaces from 3-10July (or part of that week) at the apartment I've booked, Kev
Good Luck.
I'm not sure what folk in PCC are doing, their emails have went quiet :wacko:

Top Bottom