La Vuelta 2013 (24 Aug - 15 Sept) **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If Uran wasn't moving on, I'd have thought he deserved the chance of leadership after sacrificing his chances at the Giro in the service of Wiggins and still finishing 2nd.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If Uran wasn't moving on, I'd have thought he deserved the chance of leadership after sacrificing his chances at the Giro in the service of Wiggins and still finishing 2nd.

Yeah, it's a shame, really. I agree he deserves a shot at it but he's still young enough that he'll get plenty more opportunities.

Quite excited about the possible future prospect of a GT in which the main contenders are Uran vs Henao vs Quintana vs Betancur.

The Couch

Über Member
How about the usual suspects trying to salvage something from a season of performing below expectations - JVDB, Brajkovic, Gesink...

And who will be flying the flag for Spain apart from Purito - Igor Anton? Txurruka? Izagirre? Mate? Herrada? Lobato?
I can't see JVCD back in time, he really had a nasty injury... back to focusing to next year's TdF somewhere isolated in Sierra Nevada
Brajkovic was saying anyway he was focusing on the Vuelta before the Tour, so he should be very motivated
Gesink... well, we've all seen him this year... a lot of good will, but he doesn't seem to have the legs (or ability to avoid falls/bad luck) to do much

Spaniards...
Intxausti was pretty decent in the Giro and I believe he is hoping to continue his last year's result in the Vuelta, especially with Valverde not letting go in the Tour after the wind debacle, he might be quickly become the factual leader of Movistar. (I don't think anyone can predict what Cobo will be like, but I guess most of us aren't really expecting a lot)
Verdugo also had a decent result last year and he seemed to have saved himself (a.k.a. no decent result at all so far this year)

The Couch

Über Member
Last year, quite some Polish riders showed their potential in the Vuelta
... I wonder if we might see the same this year - especially if Majka would participate-

And maybe Seeldraeyers can continue his resurrection that he had during the Tour of Austria... if not for the GC, he should be able to pick a couple of suitable stages for him

thom

____
Hopefully for the riders the same helicopter pilot won't be circulating at the Angliru (otherwise it might be the best duathlete that wins it)
Aye - I guess what happened was doubly unfortunate for the 2nd group because while they got an almighty headwind I bet the guys up front got a great tail wind.
It reminds me of someone's story about Giro time trials deliberately effected by the TV helicopter sitting between the local favourite and the foreign challenger.

Noodley

FDJ team announced for the Vuelta:
Arnaud Courteille, Kenny Elissonde, Alexandre Geniez, Laurent Mangel, Cédric Pineau, Thibaut Pinot, Anthony Roux, Geoffrey Soupe, Jussi Veikkanen

No Sandy Casar :sad:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thibault will be praying that the rain in Spain stays mainly in the other places where he isn't riding downhill.

VamP

Banned
Arnaud Courteille, Kenny Elissonde, Alexandre Geniez, Laurent Mangel, Cédric Pineau, Thibaut Pinot, Anthony Roux, Geoffrey Soupe, Jussi Veikkanen

No Sandy Casar :sad:

No descents at the Vuelta this year?

The Couch

Über Member

They should have taken Francis Mourey with them... he could have ridden a tandem and taken Pinot on it with every descent

Top Bottom