La Vuelta 2013 (24 Aug - 15 Sept) **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Nowt suspicious about underage drinking on the FDJ team bus, Kenny's choice of underpants or hold-up tights is there...

elissonde-champers.png

He signed a 2 year extension to his contract yesterday so no wonder he's happy.

GBC

Veteran
It's like the clock has been rewound, the same old guff that the fanboys came out with.

Look, let's face the facts here: he smells like a turd, looks like a turd and speaks like a turd = he's a turd.

I have no idea what he's doing/taking but it sure as hell ain't legit. And no amount of guff from apologists giving him the benefit of the doubt or arguing using pseudo-bollox-science proves otherwise. Gone are the days of believing when it all points to it being a fairytale.

Love it Noodley - you can take the man out of the Dundee Polis......

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Whatever you think of Horner, hassling him when he's just finished a three-week race and is trying to spend some time with his family is a very poor show.

Have CN tried to get a proper interview through the usual formal channels?

Milzy

Guru
The question is simple & blunt, He's about 42 & exploded towards the end.

He's one of Lances old cronies.

Then he missed a morning test

Was he doping?

It doesn't matter a jot to me, indeed to many people.

Some fans feel cheated by the likes of Roche, Indurain, Riis, Ullrich, Pantani, Armstrong, Contador, Evans and others. They seem to take it personally and get all uppity, as though we who stay sanguine about it are somehow 'less real' in our love of cycle sport. Some fans like to vilify this rider while defending that rider to the death. Thus Pantani is a dirty cheat because he admitted it, was associated with bad people, was in dodgy teams and won too much at a time when 'everyone was doping'. Evans, on the other hand, was NEVER a cheat because he looks cute and raced MTBs and he's a cobber, despite his association with Ferrari, Rominger and others and his relatively successful career in the doping heyday. All the bustle of indignation about Armstrong is fun to listen to, but it is often selective and capricious in its manifestation.

There is a belief that these juicers somehow took a level playing field and skewed it. It was never level. Unless they ran out of juice.

I recall very clearly some moments in various Tours won by all of those gentlemen and I remember being awestruck by the drama and the sheer, bloody effort and high-speed grace of those wins or those dogfight stages.

I've followed the TdF for decades and it still fills me with wonder. Pantani was (and remains) a hero for me. Indurain too, in a funny Philip K Dick replicant way. I have a soft spot for Evans too, after his years as the bridesmaid. The Vuelta was never on a screen near me, so this was the first year I actually saw any of it. It was EXCELLENT. Twice the drama of the last few Tours de France put together. Better to watch than to read about.

This chap Horner seems more like a Michelle de Bruin than an Armstrong or an Ullrich. He looks like an OK rider who's suddenly got very, very good.

But are we really being cheated? One of my children does the odd TT and looked up to Lance from early childhood. He had books about him. Does he push any less on his pedals now that the truth is out? Did he cry into his porridge when people said bad things? Of course not!

Horner may be a cheat, but if he is he gave us an excellent spectacle by being one.

Just like all the guys I list above did.

Top Bottom