La Vuelta 2017 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The next GT starts in less than a month on August 19th.
Some are crocked, some knackered from the Giro or Tour, some getting a bit past their sell-by date.
Froome will be odds on if he does it - he will...
Landa, Pinot and Quintana have done the Giro and the TdF.
Valverde is borked
Bertie is a busted flush
Nibali could be Froome's main threat
Porte will struggle to be mended and fit
Dumoulin, Gesink, Kruisjwick could play a part
Aru, Barguil, Bardet?
  • 5 stages flat and 1 level with end in high
  • 8 stages of average mountain
  • 5 mountain stages
  • 1 team time trial stage
  • 1 individual time trial stage
Testing Features
  • 13.8 km Team Time Trial
  • 42 km individual time trial
  • 50 mountain passes
  • 2 days rest
Could be fun unless Sky drain the life out of it.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've just read on CN that neither Dumoulin or Gesink will be there, but Barguil may be if he doesn't argue with with the Sunweb management.

Zakarin, Ilnur.

Looks like Froome has organised his season to be in enough form to do the Tour and the Vuelta. I think he might be too young to win it yet :whistle:

Will Astana give Nibbles better support than they did Aru?

Maybe some over the hill neverbeen or done nothing for whole career/does nothing for rest of career previously mediocre rider will put in an 'amazing' performance and surprise us all!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Will Astana give Nibbles better support than they did Aru?

Maybe some over the hill neverbeen or done nothing for whole career/does nothing for rest of career previously mediocre rider will put in an 'amazing' performance and surprise us all!
My money's on Haimar Zubeldia!

• 5 stages flat and 1 level with end in high
  • 8 stages of average mountain
  • 5 mountain stages
  • 1 team time trial stage
  • 1 individual time trial stage
Testing Features
  • 13.8 km Team Time Trial
  • 42 km individual time trial
  • 50 mountain passes
  • 2 days rest
Could be fun unless Sky drain the life out of it.

A more interesting selection of stage profiles, possibly 1 average mountain stage too many and the ITT is too long - I'm never happy me.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I don't think Froome was saving himself in the Tour - Sky were effective at controlling the race but he just wasn't at his best, as he hasn't been all season. Still good enough to win, obviously - largely thanks to his main rivals all being rubbish at time trials and/or going down mountains - but I doubt he has another grand tour in him this season. Sky ought to be backing Rosa or Poels. Or even Landa, who looks like he still has three more GTs in him this season.

I'm with @Crackle - my money is on Zakarin. Nibali and Kruijswijk are obvious contenders. And Jungels. Lopez could be worth watching too.

Leo Konig is an unknown quantity - he'll be fresh, at least.

Barguil may be if he doesn't argue with with the Sunweb management

Surely they'll be backing Kelderman? Assuming he's over his injuries from the Giro crash.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't think Froome was saving himself in the Tour - Sky were effective at controlling the race but he just wasn't at his best, as he hasn't been all season. Still good enough to win, obviously - largely thanks to his main rivals all being rubbish at time trials and/or going down mountains - but I doubt he has another grand tour in him this season. Sky ought to be backing Rosa or Poels. Or even Landa, who looks like he still has three more GTs in him this season.

I'm with @Crackle - my money is on Zakarin. Nibali and Kruijswijk are obvious contenders. And Jungels. Lopez could be worth watching too.

Leo Konig is an unknown quantity - he'll be fresh, at least.

Surely they'll be backing Kelderman? Assuming he's over his injuries from the Giro crash.

I'd forgotten Konig entirely - Is he racing yet?
I can't see Kelderman ever winning a GT though I have been known to be wrong!

Top Bottom