Laandoners.... help me with timings for seeing the road race please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was born in London but haven't lived there for a few years (!) so could you help me with timings?

Our train arrives at Euston at 09:04 on Saturday. If the road race starts in The Mall at 10:00, I guess we've got plenty of time to travel by Tube down to Putney Bridge to catch it crossing the river? I reckon it's about 5 miles, which will take the race about 10 -15 minutes to cover?

Best tube from Euston: Circle line to Edgware Road then change to a District line train to Putney Bridge?

Or Victoria Line to Victoria then change to District line?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Victoria line, by a mile...

Farky

Is anyone going to somewhere like Boxhill or West Byfleet etc to watch it? If so, can you cycle to and maybe on the route to get a good spot or are roads closed from early on?

VamP

Banned
Is anyone going to somewhere like Boxhill or West Byfleet etc to watch it? If so, can you cycle to and maybe on the route to get a good spot or are roads closed from early on?

Judging by the Surrey Classic, the roads will be closed from early (7ish) and cycling on them will involve blagging the marshalls every couple of hundred yards. Last year they were all singing from different hymn sheets - perhaps this will have improved this year.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Have you tried this? http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

Journey estimates range from 32 - 36 mins and involve at least 1 change and multiple 'Olympic Hot spots'.

RE: Getting onto Boxhill or the loop section without a firm plan at this late stage... I wish you the best of luck with that but I am expecting it to be bedlam anywhere round the vacinity. Steer clear and watch the race from the TV, I reckon - that is unless you are able to get to and from a stretch of the course and dash back to watch the rest of the race, after they have zoomed past you (which I may end up doing myself).

400bhp

Guru

I am going to Boxhill. Any idea on the best time to arrive? I was contemplating getting there for 8 ish.

Farky

I think a lot of Box Hill is ticket only so if you haven't got one, you may want to check where you can and can't go. If you have, good man and enjoy. I was looking to get around the area for around 8:30 but I'm looking at a part of the route that should be a bit quieter as it's a bit 'in the middle of nowhere' but of course, that's providing we're allowed which i'm sure we will be (thinking of the TdF). The official website is rubbish for that sort of detail though but the way I'm looking at it is; I'm out for a bike ride anyway...

If you here more, keep us 'posted'.

festival

Über Member
If you have time, go on to east putney and walk back to the top of the high st, 5mins, were you will see them coming up the hill ( albeit a small hill ) and take the corner.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Seeing them go over Richmond bridge might be a bit better then Putney, as there is a sharp bend just before the bridge. Plus it's a much nicer bridge...

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hampton Court Bridge, or just afterwards, I think for me for the way back. There is a roundabout just North of the bridge and a sweeping 90° bend just North of that too. I'll decide which is better when I get there.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Originally I planned for Richmond Park but I'm actually worried that the race might beat us there! I reckon the cyclists will move a lot faster than the Underground, hence my choice of Putney bridge. Our train arrives at Euston at 09:04 assuming no delays and we've got to get the Tube so if we're short of time we will jump out at South Ken and head for Brompton Road.

Top Bottom