Lactate Threshold ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam Kennedy

I will probably do this training all year round starting at Christmas, I will only listen to Metallica, nothing else is really good/heavy enough to keep me motivated :rolleyes:

Bill Gates

Sam Kennedy said:
I will probably do this training all year round starting at Christmas, I will only listen to Metallica, nothing else is really good/heavy enough to keep me motivated :rolleyes:

If you can do 2 x 20 properly then you will be able to race 10/25 mile TT's with confidence. Good luck!

Sam Kennedy

Should that be at Lactate Threshold, or just above? I don't think I could manage just above. If my legs are burning am I pushing too hard?

Oh, on a slightly-but-not-so-much related note, I managed to max out my gears an a very slight incline :rolleyes: 48x11, didn't have my bike computer on though, I was pushing about 70-80rpm.

Bill Gates

Sam Kennedy said:
Should that be at Lactate Threshold, or just above? I don't think I could manage just above. If my legs are burning am I pushing too hard?

Oh, on a slightly-but-not-so-much related note, I managed to max out my gears an a very slight incline :tongue: 48x11, didn't have my bike computer on though, I was pushing about 70-80rpm.

You only need to train in the LT range to improve LT. i.e. 85%-90% MHR

If you know or have a good idea of your MHR then 85% MHR is not going to feel too strenuous in that you are unable to sustain the effort over 20 minutes. In fact it is better to train in the lower regions of LT range in order to complete the session, rather than go too hard and stop because you can't keep it going.

You can ascertain speed by using the formula ;

Speed = gear(inches) x cadence divided by 336.

48/11 (26 inch wheel) = 113 inches

113 x 70 (rpm) divided by 336 = 23.5 mph

113 x 80 / 336 = 26.9 mph

Yeah good speed!

P.S. If your legs are burning then you're going too hard

jimboalee

Lactate Threshold is the point where lactate in the blood is higher than normal. This is because working muscles are being used anaerobically and lactic acid is being produced.

Researchers studying the effect of increased vascularisation ( because that is FITNESS ) force rabbits to exercise beyond their Lactate Threshold and quantify the blood vessels in their retina.

Control samples of rabbits which were allowed to exercise aerobically showed less vascularisation than the study sample.

One of the study rabbits was taken to Hall Green Greyhound Racing track and successfully evaded the competitors.

On the downside, humans who regularly exercise beyond their Lactate Threshold grow long ears and develop a nose twitch.

jimboalee

montage said:
poor Rabbits

Poor greyhounds I say. Chasing around for 1/4 mile and not catch the 'sprint bunny'.

Incidentally, the study rabbits were fitter, longer lived and more highly sexed than the control rabbits.
The retina test was a close up camera similar to those my Optometerist uses - harmless.

If only 66% of the human population could be treated this way... :cheers:

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
Poor greyhounds I say. Chasing around for 1/4 mile and not catch the 'sprint bunny'.

Incidentally, the study rabbits were fitter, longer lived and more highly sexed than the control rabbits.
The retina test was a close up camera similar to those my Optometerist uses - harmless.

If only 66% of the human population could be treated this way... :cheers:

Maybe not. We'd be overun with Soccer and X-Factor addicted morons.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
Maybe not. We'd be overun with Soccer and X-Factor addicted morons.

Then again, involuntary sterilisation could be the key.

davidg

re Max heart rate, if I have done a lap round Richmond Park as fast as I can and gone over my 220-41 = 179 max heart rate (up to 182), can I assume that the max is 182?

davidg

jimboalee said:
Did I read there is a 20mph speed limit in Richmond Park?

How did you get your MHR to 182?

Are the hills steep enough?

there are some quite nasty hills around there! there is a 20 mph limit, which I ignore going down hill (obviously if there is no one about!)

profile here
http://www.richmondparklondon.co.uk/cycling/roadcycling/

I got my max to 182 by cycling my arse off! my average HR for the lap was 171 (which is 96% of the age max or a bit less of this actual max....

Bill Gates

davidg said:
there are some quite nasty hills around there! there is a 20 mph limit, which I ignore going down hill (obviously if there is no one about!)

profile here
http://www.richmondparklondon.co.uk/cycling/roadcycling/

I got my max to 182 by cycling my arse off! my average HR for the lap was 171 (which is 96% of the age max or a bit less of this actual max....

In order to firmly establish your max HR (MHR) you would need to do a RAMP test. You need to be rested up on the days leading up to the test and then after a warm up you are put through a number of intervals with incremental increases in power until you are flat out and bursting with the effort; say 6 x 4 minute stages of 20/30 watts increments.

This will also give you your VO2max, Lactate threshold as well as MHR. On that basis it is hard to see that 182 is indeed your MHR. You need to replicate the condtions either on a turbo and get someone to read your HR monitor for you or you do it on the road up a climb or a drag.

I did mine on a long drag last year which has a sharpish climb at the end. I gave it my all on the drag and then sprinted up the climb to record 176 and that is 16bpm more than the age related formula says it should be. It is entirely possible that my own MHR could be higher say 179. But TBH it doesn't really matter that much as having a good idea is all you really need for training purposes. Zone training by HR gives you roughly a 5% spread or 10 bpm, so guessing within 5 bpm is OK IMO.

Bill Gates

Bill Gates said:
Too cold for the road today so back to training indoors and another 2 x 20. This time the first 20 minutes was around 88/89% but started off @ 85% and the second 20 minutes 92/93%. To be honest it's a tough exercise routine and that second 20 minute session requires a lot of willpower. It's easier in a race because the motivation is there.

Tried another 2 x 20 this morning and could only manage 10 minutes. I wouldn't have attempted it but for the icy conditions. Normally I would have been riding 2 or more hours and after a rest day expected to be quite fresh and up for it.

There are 2 lessons for me there, and if ever I needed proof, which I didn't really then during the winter period 1 x very hard interval training a week is as much as I can manage and during the racing season; you don't have to go as hard far as long doing interval training in the week as otherwise it will impact on the racing performance.

Top Bottom