Lactic what a *****

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
FF brilliantly put, thank you for taking the time, I really appreciate it, I suppose it's a case of getting in the saddle and "learning" I will definitely show more restraint with regards to pacing myself, looking forward to a very steady recovery ride

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
Hi all, I've sat watching corro tonight and suddenly it hit me, a sensation I've had a little throughout the day, a strange ache in the outside of my left calf come ankle, I dont know why but I felt a need to press my left bum cheek (know what this may sound like) and kind of knead it with my knuckle, there's a strange sensation I've not had before and after a little research on the net it's led me to think it could be Sciatica, could this be the reason both my legs locked up so painfully on Saturday ? Sorry about the 100's of questions but it's a process of elimination, Craig.

Born2die

Ok I will chip in some advice I was given if your quads or hams are tight stand up and roll a tennis ball under your foot up down and left right 2/3 mins each foot it eases the tension in your muscles it's also great for lower back problems try it 2/3 times a day

RedRider

Pulling through
Hi all, I've sat watching corro tonight and suddenly it hit me, a sensation I've had a little throughout the day, a strange ache in the outside of my left calf come ankle, I dont know why but I felt a need to press my left bum cheek (know what this may sound like) and kind of knead it with my knuckle, there's a strange sensation I've not had before and after a little research on the net it's led me to think it could be Sciatica, could this be the reason both my legs locked up so painfully on Saturday ? Sorry about the 100's of questions but it's a process of elimination, Craig.
That does sound a little like sciatica. The sciatic nerve goes through your buttock and down to your tootsies. You can experience numbness too. Best thing is to get it checked out.

ayceejay

Guru
check out Iliotibial Band Syndrome while you are on the net to see if the symptoms described are the same as yours. As is often the case the cause of the problem may not be in the same place as the pain.

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
Hi RR and ACJ I suffered terribly with IBS and it's what stopped me running and why I took up cycling, I'm happy to say it's not ITBS, no discorfort at all in the knee

ayceejay

Guru
Hi RR and ACJ I suffered terribly with IBS and it's what stopped me running and why I took up cycling, I'm happy to say it's not ITBS, no discorfort at all in the knee
As you have had ITBS before you know the symptoms just be aware that the Iliotibial Band goes all the way down to the shin so this may be a re-occurence, just in a different spot. I am not wishing this on you but as it is another one of those injuries related to over-use and you may be prone to a problem in this area.

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
As you have had ITBS before you know the symptoms just be aware that the Iliotibial Band goes all the way down to the shin so this may be a re-occurence, just in a different spot. I am not wishing this on you but as it is another one of those injuries related to over-use and you may be prone to a problem in this area.
That's a great point oh bugga, it's kind of into my calf and down toward and between my ankle bone and my Achilles very sore today to the point were it's making movement difficult, gutted !

IanG1

Can't help with your problem but just to say I did the great Notts 50 last year (it turned out a wet and cold day and my final 10 miles were very hard) and hope to step up to the 100 this year but haven't yet took the final plunge and entered. It's a well organised and fun ride and takes in some nice quiet roads. If you are anywhere local and fancy hooking up for a few training rides a bit nearer the time then just shout.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just thought I'd throw these in :thumbsup:.
Summary:
  • Next-day post-ride soreness is from muscle damage and/or inflammation (perfectly normal for strenuous exercise), not lactate.
  • Our bodies produce lactate, not lactic acid.
  • The burning sensation, when you've had a brief break during a ride, and then resume riding, is our nervous system sensing increasing acidity from the accumulated lactate.

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/lactic-acid-101

http://running.competitor.com/2010/01/training/the-lactic-acid-myths_7938

http://www.indoorcyclingassociation.com/blog/the-myth-of-lactic-acid-refuses-to-go-away/

Feel free to refute any of the above, I'm just going by the above articles, and certainly don't claim to be an exercise expert :smile:. I can say that you get used to the burning sensation - I've had it more or less constantly for years now, but then my daily round-trip commute is 37.6 miles with about 3000 feet of climbing, and has been for 3 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
Hi all, hope your all well, right where to start, not sure at all that this is all relevant but here goes, so as you know whilst riding u could hardly move for the last few miles, Sunday wasn't bad at all, then I started feeling feelings of sciatica, pain in the outside of my left ankle and calf, this hasn't abated and if anything has slightly worsened, I however have 2 other very sore spots, they're in my left buttock, I believe I may have infllmation of the piriformus, I've used a tennis ball to give a deep massage so to hopefully release a bit of pressure, I think perhaps I'll give it til early next week and if there's no improvement I'll find a decent Chiropractor as "my lady" Ann has recently retired :sad: I've had history when I ran of my pelvis dropping, and I'm starting to think that May have reoccurred, fed up and peed off !

Top Bottom