Ladies bike with basket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domdom1980

Hi All

I've been collared by the Mrs into getting her a road bike - with a basket and need a little help as I know nothing about such things!

I have a couple of bikes, a Giant TCR and a spesh roubaix, but no way she is riding one of those!

She wants something to pootle about on and occasionally ride to the pub - we have a budget of about £300. Are they all much the same or some better than others?

Thanks in advance!

vickster

Legendary Member
You can put a basket on any bike, better if flat bars

I just got one of these for £275 with discount code on site
Medium or large in stock
https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...ns-aluminium-hybrid-bike-midnight-blue_460692

nickAKA

Über Member
The wife had a ridgeback speed as her first bike: sat-up 'Dutch bike' style geometery & step through frame, road bike wheels & (32mm) tyres but touring bike gearing (so a triple chainset, lots of low gears) and a pannier rack fitted - that was £300 new. Stick a basket on, job's a good 'un.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Just out of interest, why a road bike if it's just for pootle and pub rides? My wife has a Giant Escape hybrid for pub rides and general pootling into town, that was about 300 pounds from Paul's Bikes. It's ideal. She has a Defy for longer road rides.

As Vickster says you can buy a basket and mount it on anything. Any bike that comes with a basket already fitted will be very much aimed at the lady leisure rider only and tend to be a bit... I'm not sure of the right way to put it... flowery? Girly? I'm thinking of the likes of the Pendletons etc.

OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

Thanks for the initial responses, I honestly had no idea you could buy a basket and stick it on!

Also apologies for referring to it as a road bike, a hybrid would be ideal, I was just trying to mean any bike that wasn't mtb!

I think she likes the Dutch style (is that step through?)

AuroraSaab

Veteran
My OH bought the men's version of this Cannondale hybrid. Great bike for £250:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...19-womens-aluminium-hybrid-bike-orange_460693

Though if you can get the slightly higher spec one Vickster got for £275, that would be an even better deal. He loves it and having looked at hybrids from other brands in Evans Cycles etc, it is a much nicer bike than the hybrids they sell for around £350 plus.

I think Evans sell the womens Cannondale so you could try one out. I don't think your wife would be disappointed.

If she really wants a step through bike, my friend has a Cube which she really loves. The downside for me was how much heavier it was to ride. It seemed heavier than both OH's hybrid and my old Dawes mtb and I wouldn't have wanted to ride it any distance.

OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

decathlon, have a look at this page 4 in budget with basket :okay:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-934589-womens-bikes

That looks ideal! I'll run it past her!

OP
OP
D

Domdom1980

My OH bought the men's version of this Cannondale hybrid. Great bike for £250:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...19-womens-aluminium-hybrid-bike-orange_460693

Though if you can get the slightly higher spec one Vickster got for £275, that would be an even better deal. He loves it and having looked at hybrids from other brands in Evans Cycles etc, it is a much nicer bike than the hybrids they sell for around £350 plus.

I think Evans sell the womens Cannondale so you could try one out. I don't think your wife would be disappointed.

If she really wants a step through bike, my friend has a Cube which she really loves. The downside for me was how much heavier it was to ride. It seemed heavier than both OH's hybrid and my old Dawes mtb and I wouldn't have wanted to ride it any distance.
Thanks for the recommendation, that looks like a good deal too, also one to run past the decision maker!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's probably worth having a chat with her to see what she values in a bike; while you obviously like road bikes the sacrifices made for in the name of speed might put her off riding. Buying something that prioritises comfort and convenience (especially given the casual, utilitarian use you have in mind) might be a better bet.

Dutch-style "sit up and beg" town bikes are arguably the epitome of convenience and comfort, while their simple format and often enclosed gears and brakes reduce maintenance requirements (which I guess is going to be your job!). Consider additional bits (beyond the basket, these bikes are likely to come with one) that may be desirable - mud guards, a chain guard, perhaps a skirt guard on the rear wheel.. any further rides are going to be a hard sell if the first one sees her spattered in mud with a greasy right calf and torn clothing ;)

If "going Dutch" I'd personally recommend something with traditional "hand" brakes (rather than fixed gear or coaster brakes, unless she's used to them) and an 8-speed geared hub as the ratios and spacing on the 3 speeds are limited. Bear in mind that these bikes are typically pretty heavy and give you the drag characteristics of a 3-bed semi, so make sure she's comfortable with the weight and don't expect your pub jaunts to be quick!

If you want something more middle of the road a hybrid would be lighter and faster, but less comfortable / relaxed of riding position and you'll probably need to retro-fit most of the necessary creature comforts, including the basket.

Perhaps worth keeping an eye on gumtree as I've seen quite a few Dutch "wafters" on there recently for not a huge amount of money :smile:

Top Bottom