Ladies Cyclocross Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littlescottish1

Hi, I'm hoping you can all give me some insight into which cyclocross bike to buy.

I currently ride a MTB and I'm looking to enter a few races next year (approx 50 miles) and I think a cross bike is the right bike for me.

Due to my short height (5, 2") from the research I've done there's not many cross bikes out there that will suit my size. So I've narrowed it down to:

Option 1 - Brava 2017: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/brava.slr/28504/99283/ £1500
Option 2 - Invite 1 2017: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/invite.1/28534/99284/ £850
Option 3 - Invite 2 2016: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/invite.2/24995/90614/ £599 (sale price)

My questions:

Is the Brava going to be worth the extra money? The seating position looks more upright in comparison to the Invite - does anyone have any comments about this? I'm looking for comfort on this ride.

In short, the biggest different is the Brava 2017 has Shimano 105 whereas the Invite 1 2017 has Shimano Sora and the Invite 2 2016 has Shimano Claris - is the difference worth £900??

If anyone could help me make a decision I'd be eternally grateful!

A side note: I love the look of the Black Invite 2 2016 (and also the price!) but I'm trying not to let these factors sway me with the purchase of this bike. But equally, I don't want to overpay for something I don't need.

Many thanks!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
The extra is in the groupset and full hydraulic brake set which IMO is much better than the cable operated stuff on the other two models. You can still do CX on an MTB in fact my last race there was quite a few, change of tyres maybe and your good to go ! The more expensive one to me is more a race bike than the other two however there is marked difference in price and whether you think its justifiable is up to you. If you can afford it spend the extra but if pushing it a bit maybe look at other models ? Just for clarity my Cube Cross race is full hydraulic, Shimano 105 and came in at shade under £1200, now you would need to buy that bike in a XS. However gives you an idea ? Also look at Ridley, CX bikes from the very start but when I was looking they had some nice bikes in and around that price range, just not full hydraulic.

OP
OP
L

littlescottish1

The extra is in the groupset and full hydraulic brake set which IMO is much better than the cable operated stuff on the other two models. You can still do CX on an MTB in fact my last race there was quite a few, change of tyres maybe and your good to go ! The more expensive one to me is more a race bike than the other two however there is marked difference in price and whether you think its justifiable is up to you. If you can afford it spend the extra but if pushing it a bit maybe look at other models ? Just for clarity my Cube Cross race is full hydraulic, Shimano 105 and came in at shade under £1200, now you would need to buy that bike in a XS. However gives you an idea ? Also look at Ridley, CX bikes from the very start but when I was looking they had some nice bikes in and around that price range, just not full hydraulic.

thanks for your response! Cube was in fact the first brand I had narrowed it down to but I can't seem to find a frame less than 50cm and I need under 47cm (or so I've been told). I'll have a look at Ridley now, thanks a lot!

OP
OP
L

littlescottish1

Is anyone able to help me compare these two bikes?

The 2016 model:
27 speed with Shimano HG200 11x32 with a Shimano FC-R453 50/39/30 crankset

Compared with the 2017:
18 speed with Shimano HG400 11x34 with a FSA Omega 32/48

so basically, does the 27 speed mean it'll be faster/easier on hills than the 18 speed of does the difference in spec make up for the loss in speed?
I'd assumer the newer model is the better spec but would like someone with more knowledge to confirm this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 10.31.26.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 10.31.26.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 50

vickster

Legendary Member
It's more down to the gear ratios than the number of gears as well as the weight of the bike, the tyres etc. I'd think the triple 27 gear option would be better, narrower less draggy tyres on the road too...being the older model, it's presumably possible to get cheaper too?

Ultimately, speed on hills really comes down to the engine, I.e. You, but low gearing can help

When you say racing, do you mean on the road or cyclocross off road, in mud etc?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

littlescottish1

thanks, what you've said is ultimately what I was thinking but my brain was telling me that surely the newer model will be the better bike! But all the numbers and gear ratios would suggest the 2016 model is better... I'm so confused!

When I say 'racing' I'm not really racing, it's more taking part in a triathlon and the rob roy challenge which is 50 miles. I'm not looking to win, just not to be limping over the finish line last!

OP
OP
L

littlescottish1

You sure about the Liv Brava SLR price?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/brava.slr/24992/90611/

That's what we paid for one about 6 months ago. £999
yeh the 2017 model has been increased by quite a bit! I'd buy the Brava 2016 model in a flash, I just can't find it in stock anywhere! :sad:

alison67

Hi, I am having the exact same problem due to my height, I'm interested to know what you decided on and how you have got on with the bike?

Top Bottom