Ladies Falcon Westminster - Reynolds 531 main frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
So getting guilty as I have been getting round to doing this for mrs Tony. So it's nearly there. The frame and components are all pretty clean but I did have a small mishap with the front forks (if anyone wants a real laugh I'll post a picture of them).

So got replacement forks which needed cutting so it had been on hold for a long time.

Anyway, new tektra dual pivot brakes and a loan of a pair of wheels (still need to get some for this bike) and this is how it's looking. Still need to do bar tape and get some new outer cable as I didn't have any spare.

It's not bad and weighs in at around 10.5 kgs so not too heavy as mrs Tony who is under tall.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 103

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looking Very nice :biggrin:

Just gave my sister a Raleigh like this, cracking bike.

I hope your Mrs like the bike as much as my sis likes hers.

531 tubing isn't to be sniffed at and it looks like it's in good nick.

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Everything was cracking except it had no wheels and a stuck handlebar stem. After cutting the stem off I came a little unstuck removing the piece in the forks. I swear someone welded them in. Anyway I had to get a new pair which is why they are chrome rather than the grey colour. Still worked out fairly cheap for a 531 bike.
The only other feature that I hadn't seen before was the huret Eco duo par derallieur. It has 2 parralellograms so that it moves up and down as well as in and out. Quite a nifty design.

Katherine

Guru
Hi, I have the same frame with lots of worn out components!
Have you sourced any mudguards yet because I don't know where to start?
Thanks.

Everything was cracking except it had no wheels and a stuck handlebar stem. After cutting the stem off I came a little unstuck removing the piece in the forks. I swear someone welded them in. Anyway I had to get a new pair which is why they are chrome rather than the grey colour. Still worked out fairly cheap for a 531 bike.
The only other feature that I hadn't seen before was the huret Eco duo par derallieur. It has 2 parralellograms so that it moves up and down as well as in and out. Quite a nifty design.

Hello Tony

if you don't mind, where did you get the forks from? I need some for another frame that I am refurbing and cant find anything I like.

cheers

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Got them of eBay. They still have some. See link below

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390875051393

OP
OP
Tony Raynor

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Got this finished today ( or so I thought) have nipped the inner tube so will need to go get a new one.

The handlebar tape is not my choice of colour bet hey ho.

Settled on a mismatch set of wheels, back 7 speed rigida and front a mavic open 4 cd. Work well with that duo par derallieur.

Also changed the seat for a vinyl brooks I had kicking round (if she likes riding it I may get a leather one).

Had real fun and games with the rear brake. Couldn't get it to work properly as the brake lever wasn't returning. Stripped brakes, new outers and inners and also re routed cable all to no avail. Finally nailed it after a sit down and cup of coffee.

It was the actual lever that needed cleaning and a little grease. Now works sweet as a nut.
IMG_1288.JPG

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Nice bike. I have the male version - which I bought off eBay in mint condition (very dusty and the tyres had welded themselves to the garage floor - but otherwise as new) it cost me £78!
I can't really ride it any more - but always wanted a bike made with Reynolds 531 - so can't bear to part with it.

Top Bottom