Ladies opinions sought please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I am trying to source a suitable cycle helmet for Mrs Browser as she has grudgingly consented to let me buy her one after being nagged by her sister-in-law, nephew and children (me nagging is pointless as I am only her husband so don't count :blush:)
She is not a cyclist, in that she uses her bike to get to work (1/2 a mile away), for odd rides out with me and the kids and when we go on holiday so she isn't a Tour wannabee. I also don't want to get her a 'nice, commutery-looking' lid as that's what she had before, complained bitterly that it made her look stupid and when it eventually sustained accidental drop damage was not replaced.
So, something sytlish (if that's possible), comfortable and as lightweight as possible, anybody got any ideas?

Sounds like she doesn't really want one. Why not buy her something she does want instead?

Sounds like she doesn't really want one. Why not buy her something she does want instead?

I am firmly in the 'cycle helmets can and do reduce the risk of head injuries in accidents' camp, so am gently nagging her myself. Her only real objection is the wat she perceives they make her look, not any argument that they are no safer than no helmet at all.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I have a Yakkay helmet and love it although I don't always wear it and it's been weeks since it was last on my head. If she doesn't want to wear one then no amount of nagging will change her mind. Personal choice and responsibility and all that.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I am firmly in the 'cycle helmets can and do reduce the risk of head injuries in accidents' camp, so am gently nagging her myself. Her only real objection is the wat she perceives they make her look, not any argument that they are no safer than no helmet at all.

Perhaps it's important to her to look good on her bike. It might be part of the pleasure of it. I'm sure the purchase is intended out of care for her, but you did ask for opinions, and if someone bought me a helmet I'd be irritated that they were ignoring my wishes, and wouldn't wear it anyway. I'd either save your money or buy her something else.

I will reply to some of the comments made when I am at home. For some reason, my work PC keeps generating an error report when I try to include smilies in my posts and shuts down the internet explorer window (bloody annoying) and I want to use smilies to ensure my intent is understood :-)

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I am trying to source a suitable cycle helmet for Mrs Browser as she has grudgingly consented to let me buy her one after being nagged by her sister-in-law, nephew and children (me nagging is pointless as I am only her husband so don't count :blush:)
She is not a cyclist, in that she uses her bike to get to work (1/2 a mile away), for odd rides out with me and the kids and when we go on holiday so she isn't a Tour wannabee. I also don't want to get her a 'nice, commutery-looking' lid as that's what she had before, complained bitterly that it made her look stupid and when it eventually sustained accidental drop damage was not replaced.
So, something sytlish (if that's possible), comfortable and as lightweight as possible, anybody got any ideas?

Actually, these are good for those who don't like the look of helmets:

51qVrjxKGjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

d4e1d0e5.jpg

This is my favourite:

d4e1d0e5.jpg

They are here: http://www.helt-pro.com/en/home.html
and here: http://www.yakkay.com/Webshop/

Err, I showed these to Mrs Browser and was met with a quiet, flat "nope", in that tone of voice all men know well when having asked their other half something which their other half considers either contemptibly stupid (according to Mrs B that's 95% of what I utter each day), ludicrously optimistic or just plain wrong. I gained the impression from this it would be a conventional-ish helmet or nowt. We had managed to pick out two from Chain reaction the other night which were apparrently 'OK', but despite having the full range of colour patterns on the picture window were of restricted stock and only had the colours you'd pick if making a post-apocalyptic film depicting the effects of nuclear fallout.
Suffice to say I've got to look at Evans, Rutland Cycling, Wiggle et al for some alternatives.

:smile: If it's a 'normal' helmet I think there's a very fancy looking purple Specialized about (except of course it's £100 odd). Will see if I can find a pic. Also v. lightweight if she's worried about that. My requirement for a helmet is that it must have a visor though as one of my main benefits from a helmet is keeping the rain out my glasses!!! So that restricts my range quite considerably.

Top Bottom