Ladies Specific Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

Not quite a beginner myself but posting for my partner.

I've recently got my Girlfriend invloved in cycling using my old bike.

She now want's her own bike but I've looked around the web and all ladies bikes come with 8 speed gear sets. the budget we have is around £500 but would like to get at least 9 speed if possible (Shimano).

She is 5'10, are we better off getting a mens bike with a shorter stem?

slow down

I think you'd be better with the women's specific bike. Parts can be upgraded over time if she really gets the bug.

slow down

Sorry - meant to add - if you put a short stem on a man's bike it may affect the handling, plus you'll never get the same fit as a WSD. I know that women managed for years riding men's bikes, but maybe that's why not many used to get into it properly - I wouldn't like to ride a bike that deosn't fit me propoerly.

GrahamG

Guru
I recommend checking that the parts compliment the WS frame - when I was looking for my girlfriend I noticed that some manufacturers just did the frame and didn't bother with more compact handlebars/brake levers etc. which is a major thing for small handed lady comfort. Giant and Specialized came up good and I only went with the former as that what the LBS deals with.

slow down

Tell her Black's good, because it will go with anything ;)

Nicko

Managed to get a 2007 Specialized Dolce Elite for my wife reduced from £799 to £500. Worth shopping around.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i've got a man's bike and had a shorter stem put on. can't say i noticed it handled differently. i think the main thing is to get her to try it out, whether it be a man's or woman's design. i'm 6ft so i'm only 2 inches taller than your lady, and i'm looking for a new bike. the guys in the shop reckon i might not notice all that difference in the women's specific bikes and said they'd rather sit me on both the women's and then the men's with a shorter stem to see what i find more comfortable.

kyuss

Veteran
I've always been a bit sceptical of these women specific bikes and I reckon they are as much an exercise in marketing as they are in proper bike fitting. Like GrahamG says they rarely come with proper women specific components and unless your partner is tiny (which at 5" 10' isn't the case) there is no reason that in this day and age of compact frames a woman couldn't buy a so called 'mans' bike with the right top tube/stem length and adjust the seatpost accordingly and still have a perfectly comfortable bike.

Top Bottom