Lager

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slioch

Guru
Whatever happened to Oranjeboom lager? It was pretty big back in the 80's.

I used to enjoy the thrill of going into a pub and saying "Pint of 'boom, please mate".

busman

[QUOTE 3680093, member: 259"]I used to brew lager at home
It"s a lot harder to do than bitter and it takes yonks.[/QUOTE]
I used to brew lager at home. I found out through evil experiments that if you insert a clean fish tank heater into the brewing keg that you can brew 40 pints in around 5-7 days.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what others have said. A nice 'really' cold bottled larger is the only larger I will drink.
Stuff in cans or from taps in pubs - no thanks.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Stella Artois at Chateau Slowmotion. The tinned stuff brewed in Belgium, not the hateful urine brewed in Wales.

I've never seen that before, is it sold in supermarkets? I agree the regular stuff is well marketed crap. Aldi sell a decent strong German lager called Steinhauser, it is way better than the more expensive mainstream brands that are sold in the major supermarkets (Stella, Kronenberg, Carlsberg Export etc).

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just get supermarket own brand "basics" lager.

I mean lets face it, if you're going to drink fizzy pisswater, it might as well be cheap fizzy pisswater.

Keith Oates

Janner
The taste of San Miguel lager varies from country to country but it's definitely at it's best if bought and drunk in the Philippines. The part of China I'm in now has several lagers available but I like the Tiger on Draft the best. However there are non of them that I've found to be undrinkable.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The taste of San Miguel lager varies from country to country but it's definitely at it's best if bought and drunk in the Philippines. The part of China I'm in now has several lagers available but I like the Tiger on Draft the best. However there are non of them that I've found to be undrinkable.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At the risk of going off thread, have you come across Xinjiang Hei Pi? In my opinion, the best Chinese beer you can buy in China

U

User169

At the risk of going off thread, have you come across Xinjiang Hei Pi? In my opinion, the best Chinese beer you can buy in China

Only a matter of time before craft beer takes off in a big way in China. I've met quite a few Chinese recently studying here who are getting into brewing and they tell me homebrewing's getting more popular all the time in China. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these people start their own commercial brewing outfits aiming at a more premium product.

Had a nice pale ale recently "dryhopped" with osmanthus made by a Chinese PhD student and have a bottle of his porter waiting to try.

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just get supermarket own brand "basics" lager.

I mean lets face it, if you're going to drink fizzy pisswater, it might as well be cheap fizzy pisswater.
Supermarket p!ss, have you got no taste?

I have just got back from my 'supplier' :cheers:

upload_2015-5-6_12-39-15.png

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Only a matter of time before craft beer takes off in a big way in China. I've met quite a few Chinese recently studying here who are getting into brewing and they tell me homebrewing's getting more popular all the time in China. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these people start their own commercial brewing outfits aiming at a more premium product.

Had a nice pale ale recently "dryhopped" with osmanthus made by a Chinese PhD student and have a bottle of his porter waiting to try.

Even in quite small cities in China there are restaurants that brew their own beer as their USP. It is always better than the mass market bottled lager. I've had decent strong, German -style lager (about 5%), wheat beer and dark ale-type stuff. As yet there seems to be no mass marketing of these and sales are dominated by the usual branded weak lager-type beers like Qingdao, Harbin.

Top Bottom