Lake District in April?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've got a week of annual leave and I'm planning on using it for a mini tour of the lakes.

I'm thinking of camping but I am a member of YHA so that's an option.

Will all the cafes and touristy places be open in April?

And the obligatory, how long is a prices of string question, is the weather in April generally ok in the lakes' micro climate?

I do have a week available in August but I'd rather use that for the Yorkshire dales.

Thoughts appreciated.

should be given it is tourist season and easter (31st march I think) is early this year (and when it is tourist season things tend to be open (also roads are hell but that is the Lakes for you...) enjoy. we have 2 weeks in scotland 3rd & 4th week of March...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
As above, most, if not all touristy places should be open by April. The Lake District tends to be an all year round destination these days so lots of places are open even in the depths of winter.

As for the weather, who knows? Around that time of year it really could do anything from snow to scorching - I've had a couple of Lake District visits in March when it was warm enough to sunbathe! (The guys at work thought I'd been abroad:giggle: ).

I'd say go for it, but keep an eye on the forecasts and plan accordingly.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Cheers guys,

I've been to the lakes loads but driving with the family, and as such haven't really paid attention to it from a cyclists perspective.

stumpy66

Veteran
Used to go there most years at easter, weather can be snowing or scorching and anything in between. As already said most places will be open. Nice campsite at Braithwate, couple of miles outside Keswick

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As long as your camping equipment is up to scratch, you'll be fine camping in April. The ground can still be very cold early in the year so a quality mat is essential.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
April is probably the best month to visit the lakes weather wise. I collate the weather data for a station on the coast as part of my job, and March and April are the driest months of the year. This doesn't mean dry necessarily, but it is far better than August.

I'd expect the cafés and other attractions will be open then, many are open most of the year. One you might want to visit is the Greystoke Cycle Cafe

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
April is probably the best month to visit the lakes weather wise. I collate the weather data for a station on the coast as part of my job, and March and April are the driest months of the year. This doesn't mean dry necessarily, but it is far better than August.

I'd expect the cafés and other attractions will be open then, many are open most of the year. One you might want to visit is the Greystoke Cycle Cafe
This is the sort of perfect info I was after. It just doesn't get any better, thank you very much, April it is. It's mainly the cafes and food stops I'd be after and thanks for the replies everybody.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's a few months out of date, but that shouldn't make any difference to what we are talking about here. This is the rainfall graph I have since 2005

It's a bit busy, but follow the thick black line for an idea of how wet it will be each month :smile:

rainfall.jpg

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
It always chucks it down here in October, Mrs JK and I call it the monsoon season:rain:
'The lakes' is a large area and you can often find that while its dry in/around Windermere by the time you get to the Langdales the rain is sideways!
The ground can be very wet around April time and so be prepared for a gloopy pitch. Everywhere is pretty much open 12 months as has been said above. Do you have a good idea as to where you are planning to go?

D

Deleted member 23692

Yes I can vouch for the campsite in Braithwaite, complete with heated floor in the toilet block. Scotgate Holiday Park very informal.
3 good pubs in village.
Then it's Sykside at Brothers Water, facilities not as good but good pub meals on site also has bunkhouse facilities. Then it's over Kirkstone pass and the highest pub in England.
(I do like pub stops).
I agree that both those camp sites are excellent....... but the Kirkstone Pass Inn is only the 4th highest pub in England ;)

Nearly there

Veteran
Weather can be anything that time of year but ill stick my neck on the line and say it will be :sun:if you stay in or around Keswick your within riding distance of whinlatter Newlands and Honister pass climbs,Hardknott and Wrynose are further south but a short car ride ^_^ away if you fancy tackling them.Oh and I can confirm Cumbria is open for business :thumbsup:

Top Bottom