Lake District in April?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
It always chucks it down here in October, Mrs JK and I call it the monsoon season:rain:
'The lakes' is a large area and you can often find that while its dry in/around Windermere by the time you get to the Langdales the rain is sideways!
The ground can be very wet around April time and so be prepared for a gloopy pitch. Everywhere is pretty much open 12 months as has been said above. Do you have a good idea as to where you are planning to go?
I do but not off by heart, a fellow Brompton rider has a route he uses regular when he comes home from the USA. When I get around to it I'll plan a route loosely around his, he puts photos up and I like the look of the ride.

D

Deleted member 23692

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone struggles (pun intended) up there for the sole purpose of quaffing a cool one in the highest... only to be disappointed :smile:

gavgav

Guru
I've got a week of annual leave and I'm planning on using it for a mini tour of the lakes.

I'm thinking of camping but I am a member of YHA so that's an option.

Will all the cafes and touristy places be open in April?

And the obligatory, how long is a prices of string question, is the weather in April generally ok in the lakes' micro climate?

I do have a week available in August but I'd rather use that for the Yorkshire dales.

Thoughts appreciated.

I have been going to the Lakes regularly since 2000, and have visited in most months of the year all told, with my 1st visit in a late April seeing the best weather I have experienced up there. Wall to wall :sun: and temps in the early to mid 20's (Celcius). I got back to work and was asked which foreign country I had been to!!

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Sounds great...so if I were to head up there and base myself in a hotel/campground or something and do day rides around the area where would be a cool place to set up base camp?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Sounds great...so if I were to head up there and base myself in a hotel/campground or something and do day rides around the area where would be a cool place to set up base camp?
It depends on what mileage you mean by day rides. I live in Grange over sands on the south coast and a decent ride into the lakes taking in a good climb or two would be something like 60 miles for me (I've done Cockermouth and back in a day, but it's over 100 miles). So if you were to start somewhere like Windermere you would be right in the thick of it and being practically in the middle of Cumbria would give you the option of getting up to Newlands/Whinlatter or the west coast if the mood took you.
There are some great riding to be had away from the usual honey pots of hardnott/red bank etc which can be stupidly busy with walkers and some numpty drivers trying to destroy their clutches by driving their camper van over them.:banghead:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Thanks..windermere it is then...Im thinking days rides IRO 50 miles then make to clean up..eat..hang out..sleep..ride...eat...hang out..sleep...ride etc I'll have a small tent and a car most likley.

Thats a plan for later in year...right now Im off to cycle around Cyprus...:bicycle:

MarkF

Guru
That is fantastic information, thank you. I am 50 and have never been in the Lakes when it has not been raining, I thought it rained 365 days a year and was getting heartily sick of the pencil museum.

It's a few months out of date, but that shouldn't make any difference to what we are talking about here. This is the rainfall graph I have since 2005

It's a bit busy, but follow the thick black line for an idea of how wet it will be each month :smile:

rainfall.jpg

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I thought it rained 365 days a year

Nah, some times it snows :biggrin:

Top Bottom