Lakes route 9 in Switzerland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Next year's tour (yes, I know, I'm just excited) is slowly coming together on the mother of all spreadsheets. For a week or so we're planning to follow the Lakes Route 9 in Swizterland. Has anyone done this at all? Any advice?

In particular, there's a stretch from Vevey to Chateau d'Oex. The Lakes route says 54 miles, but Viamichelin says 36 miles but up some 'hills'. I know the likelihood isn't great, but does anyone have any experience or advice??

Bigtallfatbloke

...well this is meant tongue in cheak but from what I saw in Switzerland last year ...they don't do hills, they do mountains.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm desperately hoping a lakes route follows the flat lakes for most of it :rolleyes: Kind of resigned to doing some climbing. Luckily I have a new granny gear so am currently feeling like Queen of the Mountains...around Leeds!!

mcr

Veteran
The eastern end of Route 9 is certainly flat but between stunning mountains - lovely stretch from Sargans to Rapperswil via the Walensee with about 100m ascent in 80km! (Or descent, of course, if you're going the other way.) But I've read of some hilly patches following the Sihlsee and Brienzersee. The Kummerly & Frey all-Switzerland cycle-route map (available from Stanfords) has all the gradient arrows and distances you should need (including stating c70km -- =44 miles -- for the stretch you mention).

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi, thanks for the input...I've seen that map and it's on my list of things to buy!! Comforting to know there's at least one flat day in the itinerary!!!

I've just seen I may need to do the Brunigspass. Any chance you've done this and it's a doddle??

mcr

Veteran
Sorry - I turned north to Konstanz on my trip last year, so didn't get as far as the Brunig (I've only done it by train and seem to remember it's steep on the western side, a bit gentler on the eastern, but it is only c450m above the level of Lake Brienz, so it's certainly one of the more potentially manageable passes.).

Cathryn

I think the Brunigpass cyclepath leaves from the back of Meiringen. It's a short sharp shock of a climb (in Swiss terms) rather than a long slog. Once you're over the other side, I wouldn't bother trying to find the off road sections of the descent although the bits around the lakes further north are good.

Excellent choice of holiday location. Can't wait to go back myself.

That's 'short' in Swiss terms. You're still climbing for about an hour.

redfox

I only done bits of it where it happened to coincide with other route sections and cant offer any useful first-hand advice.

However, I do have the official, bar bag sized, Veloland Schweiz guide book for route 9 and would be happy to lend it to you if you want.

It has the entire route mapped in good detail, recommended sights to visit and a route profile that seems to indicate a good portion of the route is flat.

One minor downside is that it is not in English, but it is useful nonetheless even if you don't speak German.

Let me know if you are interested.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
That's so kind...unfortunatley I got over excited about bought it a year in advance (it'll take me that long to work through it with my dodgy German). Much appreciated offer though!!!

redfox

I found the Offizieller Routenführer for route 2 to be very accurate and the route itself well signposted. If you already have the route 9 version you are probably all set! :blush:

DLB

i'm so VERY jealous (even though your trip isn't until next year). Switzerland is by far and away the most amazing country i've ever been to. i haven't cycled there but i guess when the kids leave the nest i might give it a try.

not sure where you are going but the country on the whole is very hilly. Ever heard of 'the alps'?? :biggrin:

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Yeah, thanks DLB....I have a year to train for the hills. I have just conquered my fear of going downhill, so that's a good start!!!

My husband btw is a Rotherham lad....you're a good bunch! Us southern girls like our Yorkshire boys!!

Top Bottom