Laminate Flooring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I seem to remember that the dust from the cheaper boards is dangerous if inhaled,a mask is a must,if your cutting them,obviously it doesnt apply so much to real wood ones.

U

User482

col said:
I seem to remember that the dust from the cheaper boards is dangerous if inhaled,a mask is a must,if your cutting them,obviously it doesnt apply so much to real wood ones.

I'm guessing that formaldehyde is used in the laminate, but not in solid wood. It's not good for you at all, so goggles and a mask are a must, plus cut outside if you can. Same applies to kitchen units - pelmets & cornices etc.

You can get the kit from B&Q and other DIY places to keep the boards wedged in tight. Also its NB not to start at the edge of the wall especially if an old house as its bound to be crooked.. mark a straight line a couple of inches out from the wall and use pieces of wood to keep your first laydown straight. Are you doing a major redecoration eg painting ? in which case may be advisable to remove skirting and skirt over the floor. The other option is some edging. Use an appropriate underlay material even downstairs as this helps floor float especially if the underlying floor is rough and uneven and also provides some thermal and sound insulation.
Top Tip from my teacher : To cut straight with a handsaw dont look at the saw.. look at where you're cutting to.. same as driving/cycling.. look ahead.
Finally lay the surround sound speaker cables before you lay the floor !

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
All the downstairs of the house here has laminate floor, plus my bedroom. If your going to put it in a bedroom, dont. It gets really dusty.
Downstairs its good though. We had a friend who is a proper floor layer come and give us a hand doing it. We spent 2 days doing it, which was a bigish extension and the dining room.
The tip we got from him was to change the sizes of the bits of wood at the ends, so it looks like a proper wood floor. In the rooms downstairs there are no joints that line up.
We used a jigsaw and wore the blade out by the time we had done.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I had someone lay flooring for me in my old house, and in my new house. Both of them were called Mick, but they don't know each other and aren't related. Spooky, hunh?

snorri

Legendary Member
Have you considered going out and buying a house already fitted with laminated flooring?

mondobongo

Über Member
I am not what I consider a a handyman around the house but have done 2 rooms with laminate flooring over the last couple of months.
Its straightforward to do just take your time and as already mentioned offset your joins by varying your start and end sections.
Wickes are really good price wise and will also take back any excess underlay boards or laminate floor even a half used pack.

Abitrary

yorkshiregoth said:
Mrs Goth wants me to get laminate flooring put down in the spare room. As I am completely naff at anything DIY, I plan on buying the laminate flooring myself and then getting someone to lay it.

I bought mine from the big chain that does it, the orange one, and they recommended someone who did it for next to nothing cash in hand.

LLB

meenaghman said:
You can get the kit from B&Q and other DIY places to keep the boards wedged in tight. Also its NB not to start at the edge of the wall especially if an old house as its bound to be crooked.. mark a straight line a couple of inches out from the wall and use pieces of wood to keep your first laydown straight. Are you doing a major redecoration eg painting ? in which case may be advisable to remove skirting and skirt over the floor. The other option is some edging. Use an appropriate underlay material even downstairs as this helps floor float especially if the underlying floor is rough and uneven and also provides some thermal and sound insulation.
Top Tip from my teacher : To cut straight with a handsaw dont look at the saw.. look at where you're cutting to.. same as driving/cycling.. look ahead.
Finally lay the surround sound speaker cables before you lay the floor !

The best advice on the thread :smile:

Top Bottom