Land rover elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grendel

Veteran
I am ordering a bike through Halfords (cycle to work, and that's another story) but I have been given a choice of two folding bikes as they can't get the one I want.
I'm looking for any comments on either the Dahon Espresso or the Land Rover Elite (which I understand to be a Dahon frame).
I'm looking to use the bike to do some Munro bagging, so it will have to be able to cope with some light off road stuff.
Any help?

Mr Pig

Hello and welcome :0)

I think you're looking for too much it one bike. I assume you must have a folding bike but to be honest I don't think that either of those bikes are up to off road riding. For a kick off you'll need proper off road tyres for your hills unless you like falling off a lot.

Do you really need a folding bike?

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
I travel by train, and on the Inverness line you are limited to two bikes per train, however a folded bike is classed as luggage, not a bike. Therefore no need to book in advance, or worry about being refused access to the train as the two bike allocation is full.
I do have a mountain bike, but in the past have had difficulty getting booked on the train, especially at short notice.

I had ordered a Dahon Jack through the cycle to work scheme, however after SIX WEEKS halfords have now informed me that they cannot source a Dahon Jack, and that their supplier, Fisher are refusing to get one as they are ceasing to deal with Dahon.

As Halfords have my cycle to work voucher I am stuck with a limited choice. The rules of the scheme are that you cannot add to it, so having:
a) Phoned Halfwits to confirm they could get the bike
xx( Obtained vouchers to cover the price quoted
c) Surrendered the vouchers to Halfwits.

I am now stuck. The rules are that once surrendered I cannot cancel, so I am stuck with a budget of £450 and a limited choice of bikes in the price range.

So, to cut a long story short, yes I would like a folding bike, with some off road, mainly dirt track, capability.
Are any of the above suitable, or are there any other suggestions?

maurice

Tough one. You really want a proper mtb for off road riding - but I've been there when after a 60 mile ride some jobsworth conductor has refused to let me on a near-empty train because the bike allocation was taken up.

Sorry can't be of help, but good luck.

Mr Pig

Six of us got on an empty train on the way out for a ride once and were told to get off by the ticket gestapo. Thankfully we managed to sweet-talk our way back on by I understand that you can't risk that every day. What a bummer.

I'd buy a slick, light-weight folder for work and keep the old MTB for the hills. You could maybe buy a cheaper folder and put some cash into upgrading the MTB. Either that or buy a used MTB if the old one isn't up to much. Loads of people buy bikes and never use them. About six-months ago I found a used GT MTB for a mate that was literally like brand new, it had never been taken outside the house, and cost £200 for a spec that would cost 400-500 in the shops today.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Having taken my MTB on the train to climb Mt Keen I know the problem. Even though I had booked my bike on both legs of the outward trip it was touch and go whether I woud actually get on the train with it. It's a national disgrace that they make it so hard to take a bike on the trains. The ride in to Mt Keen wasn't particularly rough, so I reckon almost any bike except a road bike would have been okay. Many Scottish Land Rover tracks aren't as good though.

Here's a pic of my mate the Munro bagger on an awful hired bike, approaching our target

MtKeen300808015.jpg

OP
OP
Grendel

Grendel

Veteran
I've cycled into a few hills on a number of bikes, but never a folder.
I have a Saracen Hyway and a Saracen Raw 2 which have both seen me in and out of Culra easily, so I know that my other bikes are up to what I'm after.
I was at Dalwhinnie and saw two chaps being turned away from the train as there would have been three bikes on the train, and after a long ride that wasn't what they wanted to hear (they had to carry on to Perth!).

I imagine that the Land Rover Elite will suit me for the limited use it will get. I do mean to use it occasionaly, and generally I rotate my way through my other bikes for commuting anyway.

Top Bottom