Scotland : Dumfries & Galloway Langholm Border Raid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
The CC Ecosse Border Raid.

Thursday 5th September
Total mileage: 54 miles

We meet up in the very pleasant border town of Langholm, the Muckle Toon, where there is ample free parking for us by the river ready to set out on a two-part tour of the Borderland.

There is not a lot of flat ground on this ride, but the majority of climbs are long drags rather than very steep. The second half sees some short steep climbs but the final climb is the real kicker.

Right from the start we start climbing, heading up the "Baw Buster" that takes us past Westerkirk and rises steadily for the first 10 miles, topping out at 750ft. Once on the top it tends to head downwards until we turn left at Paddockhole. We bump along a bit and then take on the Calisterhall climb, reaching the 760ft summit at the 20 mile point. Then we have 5 miles of downhill back to Langholm and lunch.

After lunch and a refill of water bottles, we take on the tougher 2nd part. Heading to Claygate, we encounter some sharper climbs before crossing the border into England to make the most of quiet undulating roads, with more short sharp climbs, passing through Church Newcastleton and Kershopefoot. We then cross back into Scotland and head to Newcastleton and another opportunity for food and water.

Now comes the big one. Two climbs and two descents await us. The first climb takes us up to 1120ft over the first 4 miles, then you won't need to pedal at all for the next 2 miles. The second of the climbs comes in two parts, the first is the tougher one, then it flattens out for a bit before a longer drag up to the top, passing the Hugh McDairmid monument where we can coast the remaining 2 miles back to Langholm.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2997818

Normal rules apply:
  • Any bike will do
  • Nobody gets left behind
  • There will be cake! :hungry:
Meet up in the car park by the river at 10am, aiming to leave at 10:30am.

Confirmed Attending:
MikeW-71
Clockhammer

Possible Attending:

clockhammer

Sweet, this is a good ride, there is a chocolate maker in the town of langholm, his Irn Bru chocolates are delicious.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
I can repeat it on a saturday if there is demand, but there aren't too many left. Mid October would be the latest I would do this ride. After that we need spring to roll around again.

It's a stunning ride on a sunny day though :biggrin:

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
On the bright side, that's at least 2 guys up for a saturday repeat ;)

After todays visit to the LBS, I will have a new toy to play with, got a great deal on a Defy Advanced 2. That's the bonus blown before I even got paid it :laugh: I didn't expect to be able to afford one of those!

Fubar

Guru
On a THURSDAY!?!?! Jeez, don't any of you work?? I'd be up for a Saturday repeat, dates permitting.

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
I'm on holiday at the mo :smile:

Working in retail does have some advantages, I get to do food shopping mid week when it's quiet etc.

26th October is one definate date for a saturday repeat, an earlier one is a possibility, but I need to be sure I can get the day off.

Brandane

Legendary Member
On a THURSDAY!?!?! Jeez, don't any of you work?? I'd be up for a Saturday repeat, dates permitting.

*COUGH!* Some of us work at weekends to provide you weekday desk jockeys with transport, security, bar staff, shops, Police, waiters, hospitals, fire brigade, cinemas, kebabs, cleaners of pavement-puke, etc. etc.... :thumbsup:

Fubar

Guru
*COUGH!* Some of us work at weekends to provide you weekday desk jockeys with transport, security, bar staff, shops, Police, waiters, hospitals, fire brigade, cinemas, kebabs, etc. etc.... :thumbsup:

Fairy nuff - I used to be on-call and occasionally work weekends as well so I know it's no picnic, hated it!

EDIT: and worked Christmas Day last year to provide an OOH GP service!

Top Bottom