Langster bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Just noticed a little side-to-side play in the cranks of my 2011 Langster and I'm guessing that the bottom bracket is on the way out. A bit disappointing as it's only done 3,300 miles but, judging by other threads, it seems to be a fairly common failing. (Why is that?)

I'm a bit reluctant to go for a straight Sugino 68 x 103mm replacement as, presumably, that is likely to fail over a similar mileage. I notice that there are other makes - Tange seems to be the same unit with a different brand name, Token do a 68 x 103 that might be worth trying. Has anyone had experience of these (or other) bottom brackets? Any recommendations?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Had a Token one as a replacement on my old Langster 2008 frame, however that started to go as well. Ended up with a new 2012 langster frame on warranty and thus far BB seems ok? However riding in all weathers I just think they will fail eventually no matter what. 3k+ miles does not seem that bad for the langster standard BB ,mine went well before that!

This the type I bought but not from there as I paid about £20, they seem as rare as rocking horse....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Token-Bike-Carbon-BB-with-Cromo-Square-Axle-68x103-/281070552000

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

Had a Token one as a replacement on my old Langster 2008 frame, however that started to go as well. Ended up with a new 2012 langster frame on warranty and thus far BB seems ok? However riding in all weathers I just think they will fail eventually no matter what. 3k+ miles does not seem that bad for the langster standard BB ,mine went well before that!

This the type I bought but not from there as I paid about £20, they seem as rare as rocking horse....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Token-Bike-Carbon-BB-with-Cromo-Square-Axle-68x103-/281070552000

Thanks for that - On-One is showing stock of that unit for £19.99 - looks like I'll need to buy something else to get free postage. :dance:

ayceejay

Guru
Are you sure the one you have is a Sugino? I have a Masi with Sugino RD chain set but the recently replaced BB was a generic unit NOT Sugino. You should check Sheldon Brown for alternatives that will maintain the same chain line or break the bank and get a Chris King^_^

Christopher

Über Member
I have several Shimano UN54 BBs of various lengths that have been swopped around between my bikes for years and seem indestructible. Quite heavy though.
I would also recommend you don't buy cheap Stronglight BBs as I had two and they were both rubbish as they quickly developed play and started to run rough after a few hundred miles. I chucked them.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Are you sure the one you have is a Sugino? I have a Masi with Sugino RD chain set but the recently replaced BB was a generic unit NOT Sugino. You should check Sheldon Brown for alternatives that will maintain the same chain line or break the bank and get a Chris King^_^
when I replaced mine it was defo a sugino.

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

Thanks for the replies. I'm expecting it to be a Sugino unit but I won't know for sure until I come to change it - I've had another waggle of the cranks and the play is very small at the moment so I might be being slightly over cautious. I couldn't find a Shimano UN54 in the same size so I've ordered a Token BB from On One and I'll see how that goes.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just to add to the furore about Langster BBs , mine is goosed, a year old. Noted some movement and noise from the BB area so stripped the cranks off last night and it's as rough as a a badgers arse.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have several Shimano UN54 BBs of various lengths that have been swopped around between my bikes for years and seem indestructible. Quite heavy though.
I would also recommend you don't buy cheap Stronglight BBs as I had two and they were both rubbish as they quickly developed play and started to run rough after a few hundred miles. I chucked them.

I've a un54 fitted to my fixed, been in there for several years and still as smooth as silk.

mangid

Guru
Just noticed a little side-to-side play in the cranks of my 2011 Langster and I'm guessing that the bottom bracket is on the way out. A bit disappointing as it's only done 3,300 miles but, judging by other threads, it seems to be a fairly common failing. (Why is that?)

I'm a bit reluctant to go for a straight Sugino 68 x 103mm replacement as, presumably, that is likely to fail over a similar mileage. I notice that there are other makes - Tange seems to be the same unit with a different brand name, Token do a 68 x 103 that might be worth trying. Has anyone had experience of these (or other) bottom brackets? Any recommendations?

One issue on the Langster frame is that the BB will fill with water as there is no drain hole. I've drilled one in mine and use the Sugino 68x103, typically I get ~12,000 out of a BB on the Langster.

--
Dan

Top Bottom