langster gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gkerr4

gkerr4

when you say "shelled out for" - do you actually mean "retrieved from a skip"??

:-)

thanks for the advice though - changing the back is the way to go - but actually, given my current situation, I think I will stick to gears for a little while - so I can keep my cadence manageable at all times.

thanks again,

Graham

peejay78

well, i think the souplesse of fixed gear using a low, spinny gear will actually be better for your knee than the stop start of gears. for what it's worth.

OP
OP
gkerr4

gkerr4

i can see your point of view - but I think the variability of low RPM 'push' when setting off + start / top traffic rides + the (too) high RPM of any descending .

I dunno - i'd rather not chance it..

peejay78

er - brakes are good for controlling descents.

with a gear in the mid 60s it should be ok, but i understand why you don't want to chance it.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I suppose a really low gear would do, just with a geared bike you can at least change gear if you feel your pushing it too much. I`m more thinking of your recovery from the op, be a couple of weeks possibly before your back on the bike but maybe not for you as your knee doesnt seem to be as bad as mine. How did you do it anyway ? Mine was done playing football.

OP
OP
gkerr4

gkerr4

everyone says this - I'm not an acute case of knee injury. It prevents bending the knee fully though - I can't kneel down or anything - it kills trying to get back up and usually just locks the knee up! I have got the saddle as far up as I can at the moment to prevent the amount of bend when pedals are at 12 'o' clock. it feels quite strong on the bike - it's day to day stuff that is difficult - like bathing my daughters and walking up the stairs!!

don't know how I did really - twisting injury I believe - football is a major culprit - which I don't play. could have been indoor tennis with my 4yr old daughter just after Xmas on a very grippy surface (at centre parcs!)

For recovery I'll be looking at very light spinning on the turbo I think - then build back up and hopefully get back on the fixed as soon as I can!

It'll have a few new bits by then. New brake calipers are on the cards (yes - it does have brakes!) to replace the unbranded tat that have not stood up well to the winter. The wheels are going to be changed too - again the std langster wheels were never great to start and they too have suffered over winter so they will go - not sure what will replace them - thinking CXP33's on 32h hubs - but not sure what hubs...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
peejay78 said:
well, i think the souplesse of fixed gear using a low, spinny gear will actually be better for your knee than the stop start of gears. for what it's worth.

+1

The consensus from a series of fixed audaxers was that fixed is either neutral or good for your knees anyway. I'm into spinny gears myself, I'm on 48x19 and 66". No idea what effect it'll have on your knee injury though. Personally I'd take it easy and slow, because knee injuries tend to be serious and not to be trifled with.

Top Bottom