Langster RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skupp

Hi Guys,

After a few months of catching public transport to work, I decided to ride into work today.

After about a mile or so, I noticed a clanging sound from the bike. Thinking that doesn't sound too good, got off to have a look and found that the frame had cracked.

Bike is around 3 years old, have put around 3k miles on it, all on crappy London roads. Is it usual for Aluminium frames to break like this?

Thinking I might have to go for a steel frame if thats the case....

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Daniel.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Have you been riding it down staircases?

do you weigh 29 stone?

It should last longer than that. Speak to the dealer.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes unusual, but not impossible as aluminium is prone to fatigue more than steel which means that it's likely to break sooner.

However, if you bought the bike new 3 years ago and it broke during normal riding, then Specialized offer a lifetime warranty. Might be worth contacting your bike shop to pursue.

OP
OP
S

skupp

Negative on riding down the stairs on it, or mountain biking, or jumping off buildings with it. Pretty heavy bloke, weighing in at over 15 Stone, but not quite heavy enough to consider a career sumo wrestling.

Unfortanetly I am the second owner, was 1 year old when I bought it, have owned it for about 2 years now, and put 3k miles on it.

Not sure how many miles the previous owner did on it, was his daily hack into central london.

Just thinking that Alu frames should have lasted longer, seems quite soon to encounter a structural failure like this....

Cheers,
Daniel.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Should last a lot longer than that. My ali frame bike is probably getting on for 30, and sound as a bell. But any bike can break - I had a steel frame break under me. Difference is, a steel frame is relatively easy to weld.

g00se

Veteran
I saw some details on how aluminium stresses - just the smallest stress will fatigue the frame and it can only handle so much before it goes. Even pedalling counts as stress. They reckoned a frame will last 20-30km

OP
OP
S

skupp

[quote name='swee'pea99']Should last a lot longer than that. ... Difference is, a steel frame is relatively easy to weld.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, so welding is out of the question huh? What about some gaffa tape or superglue? It's only a small crack...

Gutted that the frame failed so soon... Need to decide whether get a new frame or new bike... :thumbsup:

gbb

Legendary Member
They do go...my Bianchi frame cracked between the downtube and the BB area after about 2 or 3 years. As i was the original owner, they replaced it no problem.

Is the warranty limited to the original buyer ? Do you know the original buyer ? Does he have the original reciept ? Very long shots, but...

g00se

Veteran
Depends on the brand. Kona started doing lifetime frame warranties last year (up from three) in response to some other brands doing the same - so it's worth checking.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cannondale and Trek provide lifetime warrantly on aluminium frames I believe. I dont see why other big brands dont do the same.

Jezston

Über Member
Contact Specialized, see what they say. Don't mention anything about it being second hand. I wouldn't have thought you needed a receipt to prove what brand it is!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
skupp said:
Hi Guys,

After a few months of catching public transport to work, I decided to ride into work today.

After about a mile or so, I noticed a clanging sound from the bike. Thinking that doesn't sound too good, got off to have a look and found that the frame had cracked.

Bike is around 3 years old, have put around 3k miles on it, all on crappy London roads. Is it usual for Aluminium frames to break like this?

Thinking I might have to go for a steel frame if thats the case....

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Daniel.

Having snapped a steel frame, I would say there is no advantage to going for steel frame.

Top Bottom