Language learning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
For the past month, I've been learning German using Duolingo. I did a few years' German evening courses in my twenties and have a good aptitude for languages (having done a French and Italian degree) but I'm surprised and pleased with how much I'm loving learning German, impressed with Duolingo and dying to get to Germany to practise on some unsuspecting Frau :smile:

Who else speaks a language here? Anything cool? And does anyone understand adjectival endings in German?? :smile:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I tried German about 6 years ago and was defeated by it. I’ve also dabbled with Swedish as that’s another one I like the sound of (probably because I watched The Bridge and other Swedish dramas). But the only one I can actually converse in is Italian.

I have always made a point of learning the courtesies, personal introductions, and numbers in the language of any country I visit so I have very basic awareness of those elements in Thai, Spanish, Malaysian, Akan, French and Croatian. It’s nice to make the effort and is always appreciated.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I started about a year ago on Duolingo doing French. I have a grasp of the language through O-level and several visits there (where I would only speak French).
After a few months I fancied something to do aswell and chose Welsh. I'm under no illusion that I'll ever be able to hold a conversation but am really enjoying it. Some of the pronunciations though!! :ohmy: And the random changing of letters. :wacko:
I enjoy trying languages, I've bummed round Europe with only a few words of the several countries I've visited, but everyone I've met has been appreciative.
I've learned a bit of Urdu aswell ages ago, and used it on occasion.
I think I found out about Duolingo (or Dewi Lingo ;)) from @HobbesOnTour, so many thanks to him for that.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a German and French degree. Long time ago and now as rusty as hell but I can probably still do a German adjectival ending !
I should make more effort to keep it up.
I did an Italian evening class years ago, should pick that up again really!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I tried German about 6 years ago and was defeated by it. I’ve also dabbled with Swedish as that’s another one I like the sound of (probably because I watched The Bridge and other Swedish dramas). But the only one I can actually converse in is Italian.

I have always made a point of learning the courtesies, personal introductions, and numbers in the language of any country I visit so I have very basic awareness of those elements in Thai, Spanish, Malaysian, Akan, French and Croatian. It’s nice to make the effort and is always appreciated.
Of course apparently the best way to learn a language is to take a lover in that language. :whistle:

I have been putting in some effort:

"Η ζωή είναι ένα αγγούρι, η γυναίκα είναι το ποδήλατο"

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member

I agree - I always learn hello, thank you etc. The least we can do.

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Of course apparently the best way to learn a language is to take a lover in that language. :whistle:

I'm not sure I want a German lover...

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I started about a year ago on Duolingo doing French. I have a grasp of the language through O-level and several visits there (where I would only speak French).
After a few months I fancied something to do aswell and chose Welsh. I'm under no illusion that I'll ever be able to hold a conversation but am really enjoying it. Some of the pronunciations though!! :ohmy: And the random changing of letters. :wacko:
I enjoy trying languages, I've bummed round Europe with only a few words of the several countries I've visited, but everyone I've met has been appreciative.
I've learned a bit of Urdu aswell ages ago, and used it on occasion.
I think I found out about Duolingo (or Dewi Lingo ;)) from @HobbesOnTour, so many thanks to him for that.

I had a quick go at Duolingo welsh (after watching Hinterland). I lasted one lesson. Brutal. I really regret not learning welsh when I went to uni in Aberystwyth.

Drago

Legendary Member
I grunt passable English. Fluent in Shetlandic, which is half patois, half dialect, although it can be so incomprehensible to be considered a language in it own right.

A few phrases in German from the Army.

Halting French from a school, just enough to survive a holiday without look a complete tool.

Fairly decent Greek, although its rusty from disuse. My first wife was a bubble and she taught my 2 eldest girls, and that was mainly what was spoken about the house. I can't read a word of it though. Turns out one of the mums from Mini D's school is also Greek, so ive been using it more the last few months than I otherwise have in 17 years.

My Dad's side of the family is cornish and my Grandad spoke cornish fluently. Sadly my Dad never learned so can't pass the skill on to me.

Last edited:
Having a girl-friend from a foreign country was more or less, with a much too long-winded story, how I initially learned Norwegian and Swedish - not simultaneously, I hasten to add.
I was good at French at school and was ‘encouraged’ to take German,at which I was ‘scheiße’.
The best way to learn a language, IMO, except for Tail End Charlie’s theory, is to live, work and play in the country where that language is spoken.
Lessons, again IMO, are tiresome until you become half decent and by then, you’ll understand enough, and be interested in, brushing up your proficiency.

Last edited:
Mrs optic and I spent a few years learning Portuguese and have achieved GCSE level but I’ve forgotten most of mine. It was quite fun waiting for the exam. I told the invigilator it would be my first GCSE. Made her look twice 😂

Top Bottom