Language please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
there is perhaps some (a lot) of truth in this statement, however, I ride sportives and don't fall into any of the above. I would certainly NOT recommend 'group' riding on sportives due to the lack of riding skills that exist amongst many of these middle aged 'lycra louts'. However, I plod along for the 100 miles or so on my own and really enjoy the signed routes etc. Annoys me when some random gets on my wheel though - excuse me, do you like looking at a stangers arse or what?

For some reason, a newbie on a very expensive bike seems to annoy most people. I personally don't care at all as long as they stay away from me - especially on descents. After 25 years as a serious cyclist I was more offended when my new bike was descibed as 'entry level' especially after spending over £1K on it!
If you don't want to ride in a group and just plod along anyway, why bother with sportives in the first place? Use the money saved by not entering 3 or 4 sportives to buy a GPS, and then you wouldn't have to bother about route signage either! :thumbsup:

e-rider

crappy member
If you don't want to ride in a group and just plod along anyway, why bother with sportives in the first place? Use the money saved by not entering 3 or 4 sportives to buy a GPS, and then you wouldn't have to bother about route signage either! :thumbsup:

I like the sense of occasion and having a specific event to motivate me to train, otherwise I just sit on my arse a lot. I don't go in for the group riding thing though, although it's nice to see the other cyclists out on the road. I plod 100 miles at an average speed of 17-18mph - so perhaps not everyones idea of a plod!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like the sense of occasion and having a specific event to motivate me to train, otherwise I just sit on my arse a lot. I don't go in for the group riding thing though, although it's nice to see the other cyclists out on the road.
I understand those feelings, but decided that forum rides and audaxes were much cheaper ways to achieve a similar result.
I plod 100 miles at an average speed of 17-18mph - so perhaps not everyones idea of a plod!
That's about the speed I used to average on the Manchester 100. Plodding compared to the fit riders, maybe, but fast compared to the slower ones!

e-rider

crappy member
I understand those feelings, but decided that forum rides and audaxes were much cheaper ways to achieve a similar result.

That's about the speed I used to average on the Manchester 100. Plodding compared to the fit riders, maybe, but fast compared to the slower ones!

Exactly, speed is relative. I have ridden many audaxes myself many years ago - they have quite a different feel to sportives. The audaxes I used to ride felt more like club runs. Anyway, the good news is that as the sport of cycling has grown massively over the last decade, there is now a wide range of events to choose from, so something for everyone and every occasion.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Exactly, speed is relative. I have ridden many audaxes myself many years ago - they have quite a different feel to sportives. The audaxes I used to ride felt more like club runs. Anyway, the good news is that as the sport of cycling has grown massively over the last decade, there is now a wide range of events to choose from, so something for everyone and every occasion.

I too have done both, and agree with what you say, the sportive crowd tend to be a lot more bling and weekend warriors, whereas the audaxers are a more sociable club run orientated crowd.
Don't get me wrong groups can form and the audax can get competitive. I like the audaxes earlier on in the year, such as the Beacon Snowdrop this saturday in Worcestershire, I use the heavier winter bike so quite enjoy going along at a steadier pace.
When I have done the sportive rides it can be good to get in with a quicker group and get round quicker, but as others have said whilst some people may have the newest top of the range bikes, some of them have minimal riding skills and you have to sometimes choose your group carefully.

Top Bottom