Laptop Cleaning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
From reading this forum I have got bits of crumbs, coffee, muesli, jam, curry etc on my laptop. (The worst was reading Chuffy's comments about making his house lighter :blush:)

Would you recommend I take it to bits and clean it? I like taking things to bits.

What's best for cleaning the screen with?

simoncc

How good are you at putting things back together?

asterix

Comrade Member
My laptop packed up a week or so ago. It has a very hard time of it on a building site, not to mention the cat walking over it whenever I forget to shut the lid.

I took it to this place near Limoges and the guy blasted it with some aerosol foam stuff, removed the battery, cleaned up the contacts, checked the current supply and cleaned the screen. Eventually it started working again. Cost 27€ but I couldn't get it to start..

stevenb

Whereabouts are you Longers?
My mate is a systems engineer and does all sorts of computer repairs, laptops, servers, database, s.ware etc etc etc

That said...if it's a dell it should be pretty easy.....unless your warranty is still valid....then I'd log a call with them...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I thought, while hoovering, "I'll just get the dust off the keyboard"....
Cut to... 5 mins later, searching through dust bag looking for missing "S" key (now found and put back on, but it isn't secure!!)

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
You will need a 5" bolster chisel and a 4lb lump hammer.

Stand laptop on its edge partially opened so it doesn't fall over as you DO NOT want to damage it.

Place bolster chisel in the joint groove and give it a good firm whack, ideally with a 2 foot to 2 foot 3 inch swing (this usually works) with the lump hammer, this saves you having to go out and buy those little jewellers screwdrivers that you can never see which one is which.

Next you need a jemmy bar to gently prize out the gubbins (copyrighted word belonging to Bodgitt & Scarper) in the back but be careful, if it's stubborn give the jemmy a whack with the lump hammer.

(I hope before you started you knew or wrote down what a qwerty board looks like).

Tip over and rattle until all your buttons drop out and then VERY GENTLY wipe the contacts on your now split circuit board with methylated spirits.

Don't worry if you have too much meths as it can be quite palatable when you run out of your usual tipple.

Clean off the backs of all your keys, paying special attention to the four fluffy ones that disappeared under your settee and re-assemble your keyboard.

Araldite all the gubbins back in (well, it all came out so it all must fit back in)

Finally, nip outside and get a couple of laccy bands that the postman left lying in the street to hold the back on, et voila!, good as new

I cannot help with the screen as I have no experience in that area.

Hope that helps.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Elmer, that's brilliant! There's a chap here demonstrating flint and other stone tool making, so I'll ask him what sort of stone is best for a laptop jemmying tool, Longers, and you can have the satisfaction of cleaning your laptop like what the old Neolithics did...

As for the screen, I suggest a bucket of warm water, with a measure of screenwash in it. Or park your laptop at a set of traffic lights for a while, and hope a bloke pops out to wash it for you?:blush:

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Arch said:
Or park your laptop at a set of traffic lights for a while, and hope a bloke pops out to wash it for you?:blush:
:ohmy: :biggrin: :eek: :ohmy: :ohmy:

I find that it is best to eat alphabetti spaghetti when using the keyboard...at least the grub you drop blends in...

I'm too busy watching the French team get their butts kicked beautiful game that is rugby to worry about a bit of dirt. Now, I'm sure I left a beer here somewhere...:blush:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks Elmer :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:. If you don't hear from me for a while you know why.:blush:

Arch - what type of animal skins should I be wearing to make it truly authentic?

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
stevenb said:
Whereabouts are you Longers?
My mate is a systems engineer and does all sorts of computer repairs, laptops, servers, database, s.ware etc etc etc

I'm a long way from Dunstable stevenb - I'm in a suburb of Royston Vasey :blush: (I will leave - one day)

Top Bottom