Laptop Diagnosis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
iLB

iLB

Hello there
more from the Dell this morning...
blue%252520screen.jpg

Gixxerman

Guru
Is it a dedicated graphics card or shared graphics (graphics chip is part of the motherboard chipset)?
If it is has dedicated card:-
1) You could try reseating the card on the PCI express connector (take card off motherboard and put it back). Sometimes the connections oxidise and make poor contact. You will need to open up the computer to do this.
2) If it has separate fans for the graphics card, are they working and free from dust / fluff? You can get cans of compressed air to blow the dust out with. But it is better to open up the computer and clean them properly.

Either way, you could try updating the graphics driver. Simply find out your graphics manafacturer (e.g. NVidia / ATI for dedicated cards or Intel etc. for shared graphics).

I have had that same error on my machine and it was the graphics card overheating, I cleaned the fans and the heatpipes and all is well now. I tend to do it every 2 years or so. What model / spec is it? (you can just PM me your service tag if you like as that will tell me all I need to know).

the snail

Guru
It looks like you might have a duff memory card - you could try running a diagnostic program like memtest. If there is a memory fault that would cause programs to crash, also video problems with on-board graphics. Taking the back off and cleaning any dust out is a very good idea too - I toasted a desktop processor once from dust.

byegad

Legendary Member
If it's running Vista I'm not surprised. I've a 1501 Inspiron on XP and my wife has a 1501 on Vista. Hers is a pile of poo and locks up if you look at it funny. Mine runs with almost any number of applications running. Vista is the only difference.

Some memory has gone bad (from the error). If you have a memory upgrade plugged into your laptop, then take it out and see if that helps. If you are lucky it may be the upgrade module in which case plugging it back in may fix it, else replace it.

However, it may be related to other memory in the laptop, such as built into the video hardware or motherboard...in which case bin it, repair is likely to cost quite a bit (but by all means ask around for repair quotes just in case).

Top Bottom